Class 'B' Extension Cord Amps 30 or 50 How Much Amps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr spike

Hi
I'm Having my Home Electrical Up-Graded and Thinking of having a 'Out-Let' to Hook my Class 'B' TravelCraft to LandBased Electric
Has Anyone Had this Work Done before?, my Main Circut Box is in the Store room in my Car Port, and is apoz 25 feet from my rv LandBased Hook-Up Cable, Please Advise as to What I'll Need So I have Some Idea Before I Get Estimates, What Kind of Amps Would
I Need in the Outlet an Extension Cord?.
???

Need... 30 will do just fine for storage.. However if it's a 50 amp rig go with a 50 amp outlet, simpler if everything is the same and you don't have to use a dogbone adapter

What will you need

Wire: I like to go "A size larger" so though 10 ga is good for 30 amps.  consider 8ga.  6ga for 50 amp

30 Amps

Enough wire to get from the main or sub panel to the outlet plus a bit for "OPPS"  2 wire plus ground

A 30 amp breaker that fits the panel you are feeding off

Outlet, and box to put it in (RV-stores and Electrical stores will have this) Optional 2nd breaker to put in the box if it has that option.  Or you could use a switch here.

50 amps, again you need enough wire, this time it's 3 wire plus ground

A "Double-Ganged 240 volt style breaker" to fit your box, 50 amp

And again the outlet and box to match.. Just like above

In both cases you may wish to run the wire(s) in conduit (I like conduit)

If you are going to bury the wire I suggest UF (Underground Feeder)

Assorted clamps, and stuff  (If you don't know what this involves.. the job should be done by a professional)

That more or less covers it.

OH, and whatever you are going to mount the box on.. I like to mount boxes up around 5-6 foot above ground.. but then eye level is ..... well... 5-6 foot above ground

Thanks, I am Going 2 have a Pro-Electrician do it What I need is: What Sould I Say to Him as to Whats Needed? so I sound like I have
an Idea whats Needed so I Don't get Ripped Off, I Never Did ANY Electrical Work. ::)

Make sure the electrician understands that the outlet is for an RV and not a welder or clothes dryer.  He should know what to get.

If it is a 30 amp line you put in you tell him it is a 30 amp, 120 volt RV outlet.. Make sure he understands that it is 120 volt and use an adapter to plug in one of those nifty little meters that RV places have to insure it is 110-125 volts and not 230

If it's a 50 amp line you tell him i'ts a 50 amp RV circuit, 120/240 volt.

Hopefully he will know what outlet to bring.. If he does not know what outlet to bring,, Find another professional because the stories of folks who hired an electrican and got a 240 volt 30 amp line... Are many.

I can't imagine that a class B would require a 50A hookup, so you can ignore that in the prior postings. If you already have an electrical hookup cord that you plug into a campsite, show it to the electrician and tell him you need a receptacle that matches it.

Thanks Tom, and the others for your Advice I made a Copy of the Above so I know What to tell the Electrician when I get Estimates.
Spike ;D

What do you want to use while the rig is in storage?  Keeping the batteries charged, running the refrigerator on electricity (say to cool it down for a trip) and other miscellaneous uses won't require anything more than a standard 20 amp house outlet and/or a standard extension cord.  If you're going more than 25 ft. get a "construction grade" cord with 12 gauge wire instead of the usual 14-16 gauge home cords (lower gauge number = thicker wire).  Just use an adapter to mate the camper's 30 amp plug to the 20 amp socket.

You'll only need a 30 amp plug if you want to run the air conditioner or use electric heat while the rig is in storage.  In this case, the electrician will be able to figure out how large of a wire to run to the new outlet.  Wire size is based on the length of the wire and the amount of current drawn.  As either value increases, so does the required wire size.

Even if your current rig is 30 amp, consider getting 50 amp receptacle installed.  It will cost a little more, but will be far less expensive if you upgrade to an RV with 50 amps later and have to have it re-wired.

Back
Top Bottom