No more free holidays from Verizon Wireless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Just got my latest Verizon Wireless bill and it contains the following:

Beginning on September 1, all calls sent and received on national holidays - New Years
Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas
Day - will be billed according to the time of day, and the day of the week, they occur.
Airtime charges will apply to such calls in accordance with your calling plan. With calls
to other Verizon Wireless customers will remain free, and so will calls on nights and
weekends if your calling plan includes that feature. Please consult your Customer
Agreement for information about changes to your service.

That sucks.  But I can also understand why.

When holiday rates were made free, cells were in their infancy and it was a good way to stimulate traffic.  The industry has matured, and now more personal traffic is conducted on cells than landlines.  Business use might still be lower on holidays, but the difference is not as dramatic with the advent of longer weekend business hours.

Still... Verizon seems to be doing its best to stimulate their competition.  I stick with Verizon only because of their top coverage.  But even that is getting slimmer now with all the consolidation going on.

Interesting times.

Ned,

Guess I won't be affected much since I didn't realize we had free holidays. ;D Pat said she remembers something about it but I think she'd say that anyway. ;D ;D I'd not be surprised if they make other changes along with the other carriers. It's amazing how much air time I use trying to keep up with this forum! One month it was over 2000 minutes!

Jim,

It will be interesting to see if the other major carriers follow suit on the holiday airtime.  If they don't that will put VZW at a disadvantage.  I wonder what the reasoning was behind this decision?

Hey, I forget Holidays now so it won't make much difference.  Most of my regular calls must be made during normal business hours anyway, and I use IM or email for a lot of other communications.  That said, it's still another slap in the face. When they try to take away my nights and weekends - well, that's another story.

Of course, if everybody went with VZW it wouldn't matter with unlimited IN calling.  Maybe that's their strategy :)

Ned said:
Jim,

It will be interesting to see if the other major carriers follow suit on the holiday airtime.  If they don't that will put VZW at a disadvantage.  I wonder what the reasoning was behind this decision?

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the other carriers follow. I can't imagine what might be behind it other than a LOT of calls are being made on the holidays. Somehow I think there's more. :(

SBC on the other hand is giving us retirees something new. Just renewed my desire for phone service in CT and it now includes all vertical services, toll free calling anywhere in the US, and all taxes for $5/month! We will also have a second line with no vertical services for another $6/month. That will work out great when we are here as Shari is using our line for her service. I will once again have a line in the coach without having to listen to hers ring off the hook! ;D ;D I also won't have to compete with her computer. :)

Ned said, "It will be interesting to see if the other major carriers follow suit on the holiday airtime.  If they don't that will put VZW at a disadvantage. "

I was thinking along those same lines.  The timing is odd, as Verizon the past few months, has faced more competition than they have seen in some time, with all the consolidating.  If it is short term greed, I better make a quick check on my retiree medical and pension plan to be sure they are not in trouble.  ;D

Smoky:  Oh, well, at least I don't have to remember them.  As long as they don't take away evenings and weekends, because then I'd have to hook up a land line when I move north and south during the year.  Cellphone would be almost useless.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom