A crime of the times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Yesterday, California's hands-free cell phone law went into effect. This morning, several stores in San Jose reported break-ins during the early hours; The only stuff stolen - bluetooth wireless earpieces for cell phones. These devices aren't serialized, so they'll likely show up on eBay or at the huge Berryessa flea market in San Jose.

And just think, this is a crime that wouldn't even have been possible ten years ago.  ::)

ArdraF

On Leno last night they had a short bit where they took video at several intersections out that way.  It seems from that like quite a few folk are ignoring the hands free thing.  Never saw such a high percentage of autos with a driver talking on the phone.

Newt & Jan said:
On Leno last night they had a short bit where they took video at several intersections out that way.  It seems from that like quite a few folk are ignoring the hands free thing.  Never saw such a high percentage of autos with a driver talking on the phone.

And how about the driver that saw the camera and lowered his phone out of sight.    :D

I don't believe that a person is capable of controling an automobile or anything else that requires so much attention as driving. When I'm driving if the phone rings, it rings. When I stop I will call them back. There is nothing anyone has to say to me that is important enough to risk my life or other peoples lives to hear it while driving.

Tom,

Connecticut has a law prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving. I can't believe the number of people that still use them in broad daylight with no regard to anyone's safety! Florida doesn't have the law yet. A couple of years ago two young female students wrote articles in our local paper about the use of cell phones while driving. One was against it since it detracted from one's concentration of the task at hand. The other said she drove better while on the phone!!! Thankfully NOBODY agreed with her!!

There are many foolish people in this world for which we have to look out. I hope I never run into that young lady while driving. I did tell Pat that, if we were ever involved in an accident which wasn't my fault, I would request the investigating officer to check the other driver's cell phone to see if they were using it at the time. To me it's a blatant disregard to another person's safety.

Florida has the "count to 5" rule. When you are sitting at a red light and the light changes to green you count to five before starting up because the odds are about even that someone will come through the intersection late.
I still like the bumper sticker I saw on an old truck in Naples several years ago. It said "When I grow old I'm gonna move up north and drive slow".

Woody

Many states, and some cities, have rules restricting the use of cell phones while driving

There is special You Tube video showing a stuntman (it's a closed road and staged show everybody seen is a stunt driver) using his hands free cell phone (Bluetooth headset) to talk while he selects a cd, eats, shaves, and a whole bunch of other stuff.. In one scene the car jumps the curb.

I'm not sure if there was a 2nd person actually driving the car from the back seat or if the car's motion was simulated when we are inside the car.  (There are several ways to pull that one off)

But he was not touching his cell pone!!!!!

"It takes two hands to handle a Whopper"

(Or so the ads used to say)

Funny how things change (as far as this crime not even possible 10 years ago).  I got my first handheld cell phone about 13 ago - I got 35 minutes a month for $30.  :eek:  Now I pay twice that much but I have 1500 minutes and unlimited nights/weekends/walkie talkie.  ;D

Illinois prohibits non-handsfree cell phone talking for truckers, school bus drivers, and drivers under 18.  It's only a matter of time until everyone else is tossed into the mix.

OnaQwest said:
Jim,
She will most likely run into you. ;)

That is so true!! I've told my wife if we ever get hit by someone I will ask they check the driver's cell phone to see if it was on line at the time. Of course, that may only be really helpful in a state that has the law prohibiting use.

Woody said:
Florida has the "count to 5" rule. When you are sitting at a red light and the light changes to green you count to five before starting up because the odds are about even that someone will come through the intersection late.
I still like the bumper sticker I saw on an old truck in Naples several years ago. It said "When I grow old I'm gonna move up north and drive slow".

Woody

Woody,

I told my wife I wanted to have a bumper sticker made up that says "I stop for red lights"!! I did stop for one a couple of years ago and happened to glance in the rear view. The driver behind me, probably older than myself, was gesturing wildly with his hands. Apparently he wanted me to run the light so he wouldn't have to stop.

Traverse City Mich has to be one of the worse for red light runners.  Actually had a guy pull up along side of me, he had to use the left turn lane to do that, and ask why I stopped.  Dah the light is RED dah. :)

I often wish I spoke my mind a little more forcefully.  My six-year-old son and I were on a church bus (a repainted full-sized school bus) last night  riding through the winding mountain roads of eastern Tennessee.  (We went to Roan Mountain State Park for a program called "Critters in the Creek".  My boy caught his first crayfish!)  On the way home, the bus driver placed a call on his cell phone while driving!  For some reason I didn't yank the phone out of his hand and toss it out the window.  I guess it was because the man is a friend of mine, I don't know.  Maybe it's because my mother taught me how rude it is to interrupt someone while they're on the phone.  I don't know.  So instead I did the passive-aggressive thing and made comments about it to the people sitting near me. 

-Dave

Dave,

That bus driver is an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, when it does, he'll likely take others with him.

A crime of the times we are reading about more often is bicycle theft.  Bicycle theft has been a logtime problem, but with the increase of fuel costs, bicycles are becoming more popular, and the target of theft.

What are some measures that can be taken to protect one's trusty steed from the robbers?

Back
Top Bottom