Major mistake tonight ... others be extra careful ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caper1973

Not that tent trailer owners don't know it already, but we need to take extra time and be careful when opening and closing the units ...
We had our unit open to let it dry from our last camping trip, and with the rain shortly in the distance I was rushing to close it before it got soaked again ... in my rush I forgot one of the locking pins on the corners, one side came down, obviously the other stayed up (as it should because the lock did its job).  The tension on the cable caused it to let go on one side.  Of course all this happened and the rain pelted down as well .... Now I have a camper with the roof that we struggled to get down but won't close entirely.  Off to find a dealer to fix it and hopefully straighten / replace whatever bends in the arms that took place ....

I know the rule with these is that you can't rush, just reminding others so the same doesn't happen to them !

Cheers
Caper

We've been camping for over 40 years, and what happened to you is only the first of many things to test your patience.  They happen to all of us, and yes it is usually because we are rushing o get something done.  Last winter I closed the slide on our coach on one of the basement doors.  Accept the little bad things along with the many good things about camping and you'll do ok.  I do know that when we had our pop up, we had a set order to open and to close, and DW and I each had our own things to be accomplished, with the other double checking.  We could put up in about 3 to 4 minutes and down in under 5.

THe end result was not too bad ... the connectors on one of the cables had to be replaced and re-adjusted afterward.  THe worst of the damage was to the channels that support the roof.  Two of them were bent pretty bad, so I replaced them with 4 channels from another trailer that the service man had found.  A couple of days and a couple hundred bucks, we were back in business for a great camping trip this past weekend.  Took extra time when taking it down, I am more than a little gunshy with it now ...  ;)

Just remember the old saying about "Haste Makes Waste" and slow down.  That really is when most errors happen.  We all have our stories.  The object is to make the error stories the lesser and the good time stories the greater.

ArdraF

Well said ....
Figured I would share my story so as to remind others of the importance of slowing down ...  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom