Think we found one! Winn. Elandon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSgtRet

Well on a "quick look" trip today we think we may have found one.  The unit is a 30' 1985 Winnebago Elandon, 53k miles, 454 (carb), generator (sorry didn't note hours or brand).  Good tires (1/3 to 1/2 tread left), decent spare, panels straight, no leaks, prior owner added tach, oil pressure and oil temp gauges.  Engine isn't spotles but it's "clean" dirt (no mold, mildew, dryrot, etc).  Interior is clean but needs a few minor repairs.  Appliances are good.  Finally: SHE feels comfortable driving it!  Any input on this model appreciated.

In its day it was a top-of-the-line first class MH.  We almost bought one.  Don't count on the tire tread try to find out how old they are.  If they are 5 or more years old you'll probably have to buy new tires.  The 454 engines sometimes cracked the exhaust manifolds from engine heat so listen for a clicking sound when it's idling.  If you hear it, a manifold may be cracked.

JerryF

In a unit that old take a long hard look at the things we talked about in another post. Mileage doesn't always mean much on a coach unless it is over 100,000. Low miles could mean it sat in a campground or mobile home park for a long time and everything else got used quite a bit. As JerArdra said, in its day it was a top of the line coach but unless things like major appliances, awnings, etc. have been replaced you can look for a short life for them.

Woody

The tires I could get to  check the date codes on were all in the 3-4 year ballpark.  The fridge is 4 years old, the paperwork for everything is with the rig, receipts, etc.  I didn't hear any telltale noises from the engine (yes I know that "crack in a cold manifold" sound).  I'm thinking I'll probably have to rebuild/replace the carb; i didn't like the way the choke acted (anyone know if these are electric or mechanical?).  The miles bothered me a bit after our earlier discussion but from looking at the papers it just never went on long trips or they did most of their traveling in the toad (it is set up for one).  The oil looks to have been changed 3 times a year (I would have prefered 4); Spring, middle of Summer and Fall.  There is even a a chassis shop manual with it.  Any other pitfalls?  Apparently it was just a couple, no pets and didn't detect any smoke.

Hi Sarge,

Sounds like you know what you are doing... go for it.

There will be several issues that will have to be attended to. Before you go on any long trip I would suggest you change all the fluids, oil, filter, coolant, differential, brake fluid, power steering etc.

It is also a good idea to check/or replace all rubber items such as belts and hoses. All this is dependent on reliable records of maintenance available.

Also check all your shocks, the steering mechanism, tie-rods, bell cranks, brakes and other moving parts.

You may or not have air-assist air bags, they are important too.

After all that, you will feel a sense of security and sleep much better at night.

After that there will be myriad smaller things, that sometimes will be fun to fix. Take tools along as well as supplies: such as WD40, Ductape, electrical tape, rags, polish, voltmeter and so on and on and on......

I guess you can tell what I mean.. be ready like a Boyscout..

Happy motoring,

carson FL

Sarge,

Ford more than GM way back then had brake fluid that could boil to easily if it got to hot.  My thought is that if you do change the brake fluid ask GM for the higher boiling point brake fluid.  BTW, when you change to the higher boiling point brake fluid you usually have to completely drain and FLUSH the brake lines to ensure ALL the old fluid is gone before putting the newer higher boil point brake fluid in. 

If you're ever comin' down a long 6-7% grade towing a car you'll be glad you have the high boil point fluid.  It's one of those things that maybe cost a couple-a-hundred now but if the pedal ever goes to the floor board on the down hill and you get no brakes you'd pay $2,000 for it at the moment.

It sounds like a good coach!!!

JerryF

Carson, no air ride and concur on the rubber parts.  As far as Boy Scout like: on the back wall of my Ranger is my Maglight, fire extinguisher, German first aid kit, "lifehammer" (window/seatbelt tool), warning triangle.  In the old mortar shell box on the rear floor, assorted tools, jumper cables (made from welding cable), duct tape, wire, scotchloks, electricians tape, multimeter.....you get the idea.  Plan on equiping the coach even better.

JerArdra, thanks for the tip in the brake fluid, it's something I "knew" but had forgotten. Also plan on avoiding those 6-7% grades but as we all know, Murphy was an optomist!

Thanks for the input.

Additionally, whatever unit we finally get, the first trip will be to either a state park 10 minutes from the house or a KOA 20 minutes away to be used as an "on board equipment" shake down.  Then the next thing is take a Satuday and just drive around the countryside near home; practice for her and looking for problems.

TSgtRet said:
I'm thinking I'll probably have to rebuild/replace the carb; i didn't like the way the choke acted (anyone know if these are electric or mechanical?).    Any other pitfalls? 

Sarge:

Our 83 P-30 had a mechanical choke that always seemed to have a high idle until it warmed up and shut down. It was easy to flood the engine in winter if it started and ran for a few seconds and then quit.

Good stuff, Sarge,
  You may consider putting in a couple of road flares in your AMMO box as well. If you have a dry fire extinguisher make sure to check it, at least shake it vigorously for multi minutes to loosen up the powder.

Good luck. I went through the same routine a few years ago.

carson FL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom