Slide Question (Probably Stupid)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M_Neagle

I have a 2004 29RKP Challenger. I am about to be forced to full time. The furniture is much to be desired in most RVs I have seen, including this one. I have already upgraded the recliner to a real Lay-Z-Boy. My question has to do with the couch in the slide. It is the most uncomfortable useless thing in here. I need the function of the hide-a-bed. I would like to upgrade to a real piece of furniture with a hide-a-bed. My concern is the weight. Most real sofas with a bed are heavy. The original sofa is very light. Did they do this for a weight issue or just saving money on cheap furniture. I am leary everytime I slide it in and out. I just dont want to break anything.

Thanks in advance,
Michael 

Well, I can give you a partial answer.  It is done to conserve weight, especially in the lightweight and ultra-lightweight trailers.  And I'm sure to a great extent also to save money, again, on the light's and ultra-light's.  But as for how much a regular sofa would be on the actual slide-out, I don't really know.  I don't know if there is anything anywhere that has a max weight a slide can hold.  I've certainly not ever heard of this.  But I am fairly new to this also.  Interesting question though, and anything but stupid.

Even the cheap hide-a-beds are generally rated for sleeping 2 adults, which would average an additional 300-400 extra pounds on the slide?  Maybe more?  ;)  So I wouldn't think that a slightly heavier couch would cause a big weight problem.  The manufacturer would probably be able to tell you for sure, if you contact them and ask.

Most RV sofabeds appear to be made to fit into a specific coach model's space.  I strongly suspect that RV manufacturers have to provide measurements to the people who make their sofabeds every time they get a new model.  That being the case, you most likely will not be able to find a ready-made sofabed that will fit.  Also, most sofabeds are really heavy and I would be very concerned about the extra weight, especially if it's on a slideout.  We have an old sofabed at home that we not only would not be able to get into the RV, but it weighs so much it would probably cause all sorts of problems.  All things considered, I'm not sure what you propose is either feasible or desirable.  I should think your only hope of getting one would be to contact one of the RV industry's sofabed suppliers.  They at least would understand what you're talking about and I'm not sure others would comprehend your unique RV situation with regard to specific size and weight issues.

ArdraF

We had the same condition as you.  Our sofa (Jackbed) in the motorhome was terrible.  We took the coach to Davis Cabinets in Oregon to have the booth dinette removed.  When we got there, we decided to have that cruddy sofa taken out also.  We replaced it with a low credenza and a corner computer desk.  I was concerned that the credenza and the corner desk weighted more than the sofa.  I contacted Tiffin, the manufacturer of our coach, and they assured me that there would be no problem.  Since we had lost the extra sleeping capacity, I purchased an aero inflatable bed which fits really well in the space in front of the credenza and the corner desk.

I'd definitely contact the manufacturer of your RV.  As well as the hide a bed being overweight, it could possible throw off the balance of the slide if you have other items on the slide, such as a dinette.  If you don't need the sleeping capacity of the sofa, could you put two light weight comfortable sitting chairs in that space with a little table inbetween?

Marsha~

ArdraF said:
Most RV sofabeds appear to be made to fit into a specific coach model's space.

That's a very good point, although I have seen many used motorhomes (the era of mine, probably not as new as 5-6 years) that have obviously had the RV furniture replaced with household furniture.  Couches replacements usually.  The L-shaped jackknife sofa in my MH is in fair shape, but quite worn in some areas and I'd really like to replace it.  Finding a matching replacement in better shape than mine is certainly an issue.

We've seen really nice air beds in some new 5ers we've drolled over.  Specifically the Sunnybrook 33ckts.  Once upon a time I found out the manafacturer and considered replacing ours.  As I recall it was ~$1,000.

I spent a little while searching online & didn't find it.  This was a hide-a-bed designed around an air mattress - not an air mattress in a normal hide-a-bed.

Suggest you drop by your local friendly Sunnybrook dealer and look at it.  While he's not looking write down the name of the manfacturer.

Joel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom