Thoughts About Van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

We have an 07 E150 half ton Cargo Van that we tow behind our 40' Beaver.  Its intended purpose is to carry the motorcycle and bicycles and act as a toad when we arrive.  I began looking it over and realized 30 amp electrical could be wired into it as well as a water connect/drain for a sink.  An AC/DC small fridge could be installed along with a small microwave oven/TV.  Pad the rest of the bed and you have a relatively comfortable place to sleep and camp as well as store the motorcycle when in transit.  It would open up smaller campsites and farther travels from our base, the Beaver, albeit on a more primitive level while still acting as a trailer/toad.  We even considered putting an awning on over the side doors that we could screen in.  I hoping to find many of the parts used as to not make it an expensive investment, already did that part.
Has anyone done this before?  Any recommendations?  Thoughts?
Phil 

Phil,

Others have certainly done this, but I don't recall if they reported it here or at our old location. If nobody responds, you could try using the Advanced search link above. I'll take a look in our archives from the old place, but I'm pretty sure I uploaded most or all of the old files to our library here (but not the old messages).

Sounds like a perfectly good idea to me; matter of fact an excellent one.

I suppose the real test will be if you calculate/weigh the extra load you will have to pull, and whether it will negate your towing capacity rating. You know the old CGWR/GWR/tow rating, etc routine.

Best of luck

carson FL

Thanks Tom, I will take a look and see what there is to see.

Carson,  Thanks for the advice on weights.  I am doing this on a minimal level, just enough for basic comforts.  Its a SWB empty van so additions, just basic ones, should not kick me into another weight class.  No holding tanks or gennys or anything like that.  Just a drain valve, small sink and faucet, microwave, electrical wiring, maybe a small fridge and a small awning for the door.  I'd need a small pad for the floor to sleep on. We will weigh these things but I don't think we are talking a lot of weight here.  The fridge would be the heaviest

Phil,

Len Sacket is one who has modified the interior of a van along the lines that you're thinking. I was able to find several references in his messages here, but the only one I found with photos concerned an external box he made to sit on the hitch. Hopefully Len will see this discussion and respond.

To add the electric you need basically a breaker box (Easily found many places) and an inlet door (any RV store) and a place to store the cord.. Suggestion, put a pigtail (any rv store) on the breaker box then you can completly disconnect the cord (Standard 30amp RV extension cord)

You should consider a converter.. If all you are going to run is lights and a water pump you can get by with a fairly small one, perhaps a PD 9200 (9245 or 9130 w/wizard)  you can use your engine battery if you are on shore power.. Do be aware if you "Boondock" you may not be able to start the rig. (You can get a "Smart battery protector" device, this cuts off the battery at around 60% charge means you still have enough to crank her up.. Most auto speciality stores have them, Auto zone, Pep Boys, Discount auto J.C.Whitney)

If you want to watch TV and such add a second 12volt system (pair of golf car batteries) and make the converter a Xantrex Prosine Inverter (smallest one for tv's only)

I think it will work.. Re:weight.. A small fridge is not much, an average person can lift one (one hand for me)also it needs only about 1,000 watts to start,100 to run..  Or you could go with an Engel or Norcold chest type sling/Swing compressor unit,, 30-40 watts on 12 or 120 volt

Below are some pics of our Chev. Express Extended van

Attachments

• Bath and Hanging Closet s.JPG
    Bath and Hanging Closet s.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 108
  • Bathroom Jump Seat - small.JPG
    Bathroom Jump Seat - small.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Bathroom Sink & Cabinets s.JPG
    Bathroom Sink & Cabinets s.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Hanging Closet s.JPG
    Hanging Closet s.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Mid-Cabin s.JPG
    Mid-Cabin s.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Airy Kitchen s.JPG
    Airy Kitchen s.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Kitchen in Use s.JPG
    Kitchen in Use s.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 89
Oh, I forgot a few things.

The day beds (20 inch wide isle) are O.K. for reading and a nap but for sleeping we convert the space into a full size bed. 
There also is a fire place off of the kitchen  :eek:
And there is a laundry room in the basement.  ???

See below for pics. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• Bedroom s.JPG
    Bedroom s.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Fire Place Details s.JPG
    Fire Place Details s.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Laundry Room s.jpg
    Laundry Room s.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 73
Len,

You're a comedian  ;D

Great job on the van. I've seen most of those photos before, but couldn't fins them when I went to reply to this topic. I'll get them in the library for future reference.

Thanks Tom,

Attached are some more real detail pics:  Exterior inlet plug, breaker box, battery isolator for house battery, my electrical wiring.

By the sounds of it this is probably more than Phil wants to do, but it gives an idea of things you can do.  One thing I have found is that it is MUCH easier to put in what you want or might need the first time than it is to go back and add things on afterward.

Oh yes, the breaker box is square on the wall not at an angle.  That angle is the photographer laying on the van floor.

Attachments

• 110v Shore Pwr s.jpg
    110v Shore Pwr s.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Bathroom Sink Cabinet s.jpg
    Bathroom Sink Cabinet s.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 110v Circuit Breaker Box s.jpg
    110v Circuit Breaker Box s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 55
  • House Battery Isolator s.JPG
    House Battery Isolator s.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 57
  • ELECTRICAL WIRING.jpg
    ELECTRICAL WIRING.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks Len. They're added to the folder ready to go in the library.

The photos and file names are self-explanatory but, if you wanted to add some words of wisdom I'd add them into the article. Otherwise, I'll include some generic comments (drivel).

Tom

I have attached some MS Word drivel.  PLEASE feel free to use as much or AS LITTLE (or none) of it as you would like.  I might have over driveled.  My shirt and chin are all wet with drivel.

Len S

Attachments

• 2000 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van converted to an RV.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 140
Len,

A very big thank you! You've saved me the embarrassment of admitting I dropped the ball  :-[

Len,

A draft of the file is in our library here. Please let me know if you'd like to add or change anything.

TIA.

Tom,

I looks fine.  A good job of editing.

FYI..... That photo of our "laundry room" was taken where the Cassiar Hwy (37) tees into the Alaska Hwy (1) just inside the Yukon Territory from British Columbia.  There is a gas station there with a laundry mat.  We did our first two weeks laundry there.  The driers were V E R Y  S L O W.  We kept feeding them quarters and things just didn't seem to get any dryer than the damp stage.  We gave up and hit the road.  That is when we realized that a 'B' really has limited space!

Thanks again Len. I think your photos and description will be an inspiration to others in the future.

BTW was Jo a professional model at one time?

Back
Top Bottom