anyone with experience regarding installed solar panels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireFighter38

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with installed solar panels.  I have the Carmanah CTI-130 installed on the roof of my 5th wheel with the GPR-25 Digital Regulator.  This panel is charging two AGM 12 volt batteries.  The reading I get on my regulator is never more than 12.4 volts / 0.8 amps.  The amp reading is the same at night when there is no sun.  A friend of mine has the same setup but charging two 6 volt batteries and he is rarely below the 13volt mark after using his trailer all weekend.  His amp reading is usually around the area of 2 amps but said has been as high as almost 4 amps.  This really makes me wonder why mine isn't the same.  I have a cheap volt meter which not good at accurate readings but I did hook it up directly to the panel and the meter shot to the other side.  I hooked it up again to the Regulator and the meter moved barely at all.  Shouldn't the reading be the same at the regulator as it is up at the panel?  My dealership, where it was installed, simply said that it reads what it does because of the draw from the CO2 detector and the stereo so the batteries will never be fully charged but looking at my buddies setup and his readings, he has a little draw of his batteries all the time as well, yet he has gets a much higher charge on his batteries.  My dealership is quite far away, plus a not-so-cheap ferry ride, so taking it back there for this is really viable right now so any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks alot.

Corey

Back
Top Bottom