How to Begin Hosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CampingFam

I'm interested in the idea of hosting a campground, as has been talked about in a couple other threads.  How do you go about getting started on this?  Is it an invitation-only situation or would it be okay for me to call or visit a campground and inquire about hosting?  I'm a little nervous about how to get started.

Thanks!

You might also try www.volunteer.gov if you're looking for a volunteer job. Many offer free full hook-up sites in exchange for a certain number of hours per month.

Or if there's a campground you particularly like, contact them and talk to the manager about the possibilities.

Ask at every campground you visit - they often need help. You can be oblique - just mention that you are interetsed in finding some part time work in a campground "or something" and see if they take the bait.

Think ahead of time about what you are willing to do and what sort of compensation you are looking for.  Simple camp "hosts" generally have few actual duties except to be around to greet folks and answer questions, but they don't get much compensation either. Typically just their campsite in exchange for x number of hours on duty. If you do more, e.g. do some actual labor around the campground or in the office or store, you might get some pay in addition to a site.

If you want a paying job, you might join www.workamper.com, which is a "hiring hall" where campgrounds and prospective workers can post their openings and resumes.

Do you mean that you want to work at a campground or that you want to host one by yourself?
Out of curiosity, what kind of resources would it take to start your own campground (apart from the ground itself, of course).

Just like looking for a job.  Ask.  It might help to have sort of a resume'.  List the skills you have. i.e. electrical, carpentry, plumbing, computer etc. as well as past history(s).  Talk about being a fast learner, dependable etc. 
If you are near Georgia, ask at our State Park website.  We have more openings than applicants every year.  Keep plugging and you will find volunteer work.

CampingFan:

There are many internet sources helpful in finding volunteer camp host positions, in addition to those mentioned above.  An excellent source is the State Park web sites.  Sometimes they are a bit difficult to find, but they are generally out there.  City and county parks with campgrounds use hosts too. 

Then there are other similar volunteer positions, besides hosts.  For example; Boyce Thompson Arboretum, just outside Mesa AZ utilizes volunteers but has no public campground.  We will be volunteering this winter at Patagonia Sonata-Creek Nature Conservancy at Patagonia, AZ.  They have no campground either, although they do provide a full hook-up for a volunteer. 

Our success in finding volunteer positions has been through e-mails to the park.  In the e-mail I explain something about our background, health related restrictions, interests, and our availability.

Good hunting!

Just ask.  We ended up getting a great gig this summer.  Not hosting, although I would like to do that in the future.  This year we will be working at Old Faithful in the book store.  Really looking forward to it.

PancakeBill said:
Just ask.  We ended up getting a great gig this summer.  Not hosting, although I would like to do that in the future.  This year we will be working at Old Faithful in the book store.  Really looking forward to it.

Bill,

If you come to Bozeman on one of your days off, give us a call.  We are about 5 miles from the intersection where you turn on 191 to go into Bozeman.  We do have a bunch of traveling to do this summer but should be home most of July and the first half of August.  We might even get to Yellowstone this year although it has been almost 3 years since we were there.  Too close so we never make it.

Be sure to partake of Wilcoxson's ice cream, it is about the best you can get.  really!!  VBG

I was told Bozeman is where to go for grocerys.  Where is that ice cream?  Just Boze, or all over the region?

Thanks for the invite, when w get closer we can swap cell numbers.

Bill

PancakeBill said:

Golly Bill you will be in the neighborhood come on up to Sam's Camp in Lewistown. We have full hookups as well as wifi.  Could make a real trip by visiting Jim and Pat on your way up or back.  Another thought maybe you can also join us for the ELK VIEWIN Rally beginning 11 Sept.  Have fun at Yellowstone.

Ron.  I'll still be working in Sept, but some 3 day time off, just maybe.  Jim & Pat?  As in Dick?  We are a ways away from being near, but we will fly back to FL before starting our trip, will try to hookup then.

PancakeBill said:
I was told Bozeman is where to go for grocerys.  Where is that ice cream?  Just Boze, or all over the region?

Thanks for the invite, when w get closer we can swap cell numbers.

Bill

Bill, the Jim and Pat Ron mentioned are my wife and I as we are on the route to Ron's from Yellowstone.  ;)

We have a long drive and MAY have our MH on a new pad beside the house this summer.  We have water and electric with a dump a couple of miles way.  For shopping, there is a newer store in Bozeman on the western edge of town called Rosauer's that is great and a mile or so east is the newer Albertson's.  Costco is a couple of miles north of them near the freeway.

You will find the ice cream in the stores and other places in Yellowstone so it will be all around you~it is also all over the area.

Back
Top Bottom