Tour de France - Has anyone been?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tghoover

Thinking of doing the tour de France next year, and renting an RV for a week (I've found several rental companies).  Was wondering if anyone has ever done this before and what the logisitics might entail.  Looking to get to the mountain stages.  Any info would help like

Drivers license can I us my US license or do I need an international license
Will my Garmin GPS work if I get a France chip
etc.

Sorry to be so slow with this response but been having too much fun to do much bloging or interneting this summer here in France.

Went to the last Alpine stage this year at Col du Galibier and did a blog page here
http://www.papillontravels.net/Euro2008/tourdefrance.htm

also see my Euroblog in our RV at
http://www.papillontravels.net/

Tom and Judy

Drivers license can I us my US license    Yes you can use your US license if the camper you rent weights less than 3.5 tons, otherwise
it is considered as a truck and you need a truck license

Will my Garmin GPS work if I get a France chip          Yes of course

My tip: There is all google street view that has been recorded in 2007 along Tour de France roads, so you can have an idea of what it looks.

Example: Col du Tourmalet in Pyrenees mountains
Col du Tourmalet

Feel free to ask any question!!!
jjtoto (From France)

IN regards to drivers license.

We have a standard class E Florida license which is good for 20.000 pound vehicle.  We are not required to have a European truck license even though our rig is 10,000 pounds.  The Europeans honor your foreign license.  We also carry a copy of the Florida regs so that they can see that class E is good for that weights.  I assume though that you will rent a 3.5 tonne rig.

It is best that you also have an International Drivers license.

GPS is a very good idea.

Tom in Vero Beach

Back
Top Bottom