Sport Trac Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artstang

I have an 05 Sport Trac 4x4 I like to tow behind my 37' Itasca.
The ST is equipped with Neutral Tow kit. Does anyone out there
have the same toad. Wanted to know if it can be towed faster than
55MPH and if any problem being encountered.  ???
Thanks
Allegroart

The 2005 Ford Towing Guide says the Explorer SportTrac is towable 4-down with the Neutral Tow kit installed. It lists no other restrictions but cautions you to check the owners manual or contact a dealer before towing.  Does your owner manual indicate a 55 mph limit or is that just something you heard somewhere? There are vehicles with a 55 mpg recommended max while towing, but I wasn't aware that any Ford had that caveat.

The problem in towing 4-down is heat build-up in the transmission due to limited transmission fluid circulation. A speed or distance limitation is intended to help keep temperatures down. The tranny does not immediately break if you exceed the recommendations, but continued excessive speeds or distances take a toll on the life of the transmission. It is smart to check the transmission fluid regularly for signs of overheating, typically a brownish color and perhaps a burnt toast smell. Use of a synthetic transmission fluid will help it cope with high temperatures better.

Thanks Gary ;D The owners manual did says recommended 55MPH with no distance restrictions, but the 2005 Ford brochure towing guide did not specify any MPH restriction for "4 wheels down" towing. As a matter of fact only Ford Ranger with manual trans is noted to require 55MPH limits.
Artstang

Artstang,

I know this is a really old post, but I was wondering if you towed your sport trac faster than 55mph.  I have a 2004 sport trac 4x4 and want to use it as my toad, but am not sure about exceeding the Ford recommended speed limit.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom