putting money into used motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westminster

I am new to the forum and have a question.
I bought a 93 Tioga 28f a year ago. It is in great working condition. Has 55k on it and has been very well maintained.
I bought it for 16.5k I am considering painting it, and would have around 3k in the paint job, as I am bartering for the paint job. I have invested around 2k in a major tuneup, replacing all fluids with synthetic, and a Banks power kit. I do not plan on selling the unit anytime soon, but am I making a mistake to put money into it?
The inside looks like it is 5 years old. If I try and sell it in 2-3 years to go to a class A, will it be sellable?
Will it be worth more if it looks newer on the outside?
Thanks for your input!!!

I strongly suspect it will hold value fairly well.  Most RV type vehicles do if properly maintained

And if you are not planing on selling soon, then you will be happier if you keep it up well

Much nicer coming "home" to a nice looking unit than to one that's a bit rusty and well worn

It will be sellable, but not at a price that will recoup your purchase price plus improvements.  See www.nadaguides.com for retail prices on used Rvs.  Chances are you will have to accept LESS than the NADA retail book value in a private sale, sometimes substantially less. Dealers will give low wholesale book on a trade-in, but new Rvs are discounted anywhere from 10-25%, depending on your bargaining skills and where you buy.

Thank you both for your input. You have given me some good insight.
What I was concerned about was having 20k in a motorhome that would be worth 10k.
And you are definitely correct about walking into a motorhome that looks inviting.
That is my thought process.

Back
Top Bottom