Brincks in Maine...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I haven't been keeping up a steady blog of our travels, so I'll recap a few things here.

We've been enjoying Maine for a bit over a month now and are currently in Trenton near Bar Harbor. Ron & Shirley Marabito are three sites away and our good friends the Wassings & the Rochettes (whom we workamped with in Camden, Maine in 2005) are next to us.  This is a glorious area, with the fantastic scenery of Acadia N.P. and Mt Desert Island easily accessible by road and plenty of shops and restaurants to entertain us. And with eight of us parked side by side, our daily "social hour" is always a lively affair.

For the past week the weather has been unusually hot for Maine, into the 90's every afternoon and humid as well. It dropped right to 68-70 by around 6 pm, though, so the evenings were nice. Yesterday the hot spell finally broke and a more typical Maine summer now prevails - around 80 in mid afternoon and low-mid 60's at night.

Last night the eight of us feasted on 2 lb lobsters from a local "lobster pound". They will serve them there or cook them "to go" for only $3 over the price of the lobster itself ($8.95/lb for the larger sizes), so we decided to take ours home and roast fresh corn on the cob to go with it, as well as potato salad and cole slaw. What a feast!  Tonight we plan to cook a batch of mussels, another of our favorites.  Mike Wassing does a fantastic job with them, steaming them in a wine and butter concoction that is nothing short of heavenly (if you like mussels - Nancy doesn't!)..

On Wednesday we all went to the Jordan Pond House in the Acadia NP for their famous popovers. Ron & Shirley had gone fora hike around Jordan Pond (actually a fair sized lake about three miles in circumference) and didn't quite meet up with us there, but we all had the same thing: popovers ala mode, which is fresh baked popover stuffed with your choice of ice cream. I had Maine Blueberry ice cream in mine.

Photos:
(1) Shirley gets serious about Happy Hour!
(2) Working our way through  some big lobsters
(3) Misty view of Frenchman Bay from the top of Cadillac Mtn (Acadia NP)

Attachments

• Two-fisted Shirley1585 (Medium).jpg
    Two-fisted Shirley1585 (Medium).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Lobster Feast-1590 (Medium).JPG
    Lobster Feast-1590 (Medium).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 79
  • FrenchmanBay1579 (Medium).JPG
    FrenchmanBay1579 (Medium).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 69
I love fresh Maine lobster.  You made my moth water.  I just know it was a real feast.  Thanks for posting the photos.  Have a great time.

wendycoke said:
Everyone sure is concentrating on those lobsters !!

Wendy:

Actually we are cutting back. We've been in Maine (Skowhegan currently) since Monday and have only had it three times so far. ;D ;D Our family reunion Friday night get together was lobstah and steamers.

Pigged out on mussels and corn of the cob tonight - scrumptious!  The corn we are getting here is some of the sweetest I've ever tasted - most be a great year for sweet corn somewhere (I don't think the Maine crop is mature yet).

And Ron Marabito is making strawberry waffles for breakfast tomorrow...

Ron & Shirley made wonderful waffles with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream for the eight of us this morning. Can you spell scrumptious?!!  Ron is justly famous for his waffles and Shirley does the rest, even whipping up cream instead of using Cool Whip or similar.

I was too busy eating to snap any photos, but you would have seen some serious chow hounds this morning!

Many thanks, Ron 7 Shirley!

Thanks for the kudos Gary.  Glad everyone enjoyed the waffles.

We'll miss you guys since we are leaving this morning for New Brunswick.  Enjoy some more of those lobsters.

Back
Top Bottom