Axle weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zal

My wife and I have been looking for TT and during so I have noticed a trend.  About 95% of the trailers out there that I have seen, the trailers GVWR is more than the axles are rated for.  Some times its as much as 1200lbs.  The last thing I need is to bend a spindle or bend the axle on a trip, wear out a tire, and then have to fix it on the road.  Is there any logic behind this?  What are the manufacturers thinking?

Some of the weight is carried on the tongue or hitch.  They use the smallest axle that will carry the GVWR-hitch weight.

Ned is correct 10-20 percent of the weight is often carried on the hitch, the exact amount will very from rig to rig.  It has been long enough I forget what is considered to be the "proper" weight on the hitch.

Second.. If you use an equalizing hitch, this throws the figures off big time

And yes, they often do cut corners when making .... anything.

John In Detroit said:
Ned is correct 10-20 percent of the weight is often carried on the hitch, the exact amount will very from rig to rig.  It has been long enough I forget what is considered to be the "proper" weight on the hitch.

Ideally it is about 12 to 15%.  The lower limit of 10% is critical for stability.  20% would be way high for a TT.

Second.. If you use an equalizing hitch, this throws the figures off big time

Not at all.  It does not change the weight on the hitch at all -- beyond adding its own trivial weight.  What it does is equalize the effect of that weight between the tow vehicle axles by transferring more on the front axle.

To evaluate the sufficiency of trailer axles one would subtract the specified hitch weight from the GVWR to compare with the combined axle weight rating (CAWR).  You would have a problem only if that number exceeded the CAWR.

1200 lbs would be a lot for a TT. I used to have a 28 ft TT with a hitch weight of 650 to 700 lbs. 5th wheels will run more around 20% pin weight. mine is about 1500 depending on how many clothes my wife puts in the dresser. They carry more of the weight ahead of the rear axle a bit.
I noticed the same thing you have. Same way with tires.

You don't usually see that much discrepancy on a TT, but it has become quite common on fifth wheels with their greater pin weight. The manufacturer saves some $$ on axles and tires, to the ultimate detriment of the owner. One side effect is that the trailer brakes are insufficient for the trailer GVWR and the tow vehicle brakes have to work much harder to stop it. And another is the increased likelihood of a bent/broken axle or spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom