Truck camper and towed Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Here's my "ideal" rig; A neighbor's truck camper and Jeep in tow. This guy takes his wife, two large birds, and a not-so-small dog along for the ride.

Attachments

• Truck_camper_Jeep.jpg
    Truck_camper_Jeep.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 105
For those that have been to Peg's Campground, know that we are right next to AZ hwy 260. We see a lot of rigs passing our place in route to the mountains.

Today I saw a pickup (not sure of size but it was SRW) pulling a medium sized 5th wheel pulling a full sized jeep.

Where is DPS when you need them?

What is DPS?

I have GPS, but what would that do?

Heck, they probably left the jeep running in gear and it is helping by pushing. 

Alas, In many states now it's legal to double tow so long as the 1st trailer is a 5-er

I can't recall seeing a "You must have this big a tow vehicle to pull this much trailer" law. (outside of a physics book)

I do know recently a 35' trailer got away from a Durango killing 3,,, The final ruling was "Too much trailer"

I expect laws may follow

By the way. I blame the sales jerk who said "Oh sure, you can tow 10000 worth of trailer with 2000 worth of tow vehicle"

PancakeBill said:
What is DPS?

I have GPS, but what would that do?

Heck, they probably left the jeep running in gear and it is helping by pushing. 

Department of Public Safety, State Troopers, Highway Patrol, Bear in the bushes.

What they are called all depends on what state you're in and if the flashing lights are in your rear view mirror or not.  ;D  ;D

John,

There are laws against exceeding the GVWR, GCWR,  weight limits of vehicles.  Too many cases where RVers are just plain over loaded.

That, Ron is why I said "I can't recall"  Don't mean there are no laws,  Just means I haven't seen 'em

Actually they do make a lot of sense.. And there are some catch all "Unsafe driving" laws (Careless/Reckless) that sure would fit a serious overload.

Such as the one I mentioned in my last post.

However on that one,  There is no one they will prosecute (Though If I could prove the sales jerk said what I'm sure he said (It is ok to tow that trailer with that truck) I'd like to see him brought up on charges.

John
I won't say someone didn't say it was OK, but I have spent way more time trying to explain why a customer couldn't buy a tralre to tow with a truck than anything.  Now that I am at a dealer that sells new trucks, we have a huge poster showing the weights etc.  Tyoically I have seen folks rationalizing it after the fact.  They buy a truck, pull something bigger, figure no problem, then pull sonething bigger yet.

I would hear the argument, "Hey, I pull my neighbors trailer with no issue and it weighs 28000 pounds!  I know I can pull this one."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom