Buying 1st trailer - opinions wanted on a Jay Feather EXP 254

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

519sledr

Hello all,
I am considering the above trailer.  My TV is an 04 Silverado SBEC Z71 with a 5.3 and 3.73s so I think this trailer would be a good choice for the truck weight wise.  But I am looking for opinions on the trailer and Jayco as a brand.  This will be our first trailer so my head is spinning with all of the different makes out there.

I have a 97 Jayco Eagle Class C 332 foot and I love it. Great quality construction.

Jayco is a  very big player in the RV marketplace & obviously lots of dealers sell 'em. They are not super high quality but they aren't trash either. Jayco must build to a certain, affordable, price level as they are a "mass market" product, but I wouldn't let that bother me much.

If the floor plan & amenities of this trailer suit you and your family, and your truck can tow it when it's fully loaded with propane, fresh water, & all your stuff, with a 10% safety margin, I'd say go for it.

John Alldredge, towing a 2004 Terry Dakota 722F TT with a Ford E250 van

519sledr said:
Hello all,
I am considering the above trailer.  My TV is an 04 Silverado SBEC Z71 with a 5.3 and 3.73s so I think this trailer would be a good choice for the truck weight wise.  But I am looking for opinions on the trailer and Jayco as a brand.  This will be our first trailer so my head is spinning with all of the different makes out there.

That trailer has a GVWR of 5900 lbs.  Since you do not specify your TV's cab, short/long bed, or 2wd/4wd configuration, I can only come up with a minimum tow rating of 7500 lbs.  Even if you allow a 20% safety factor for towing in the mountain or Pacific west, you should be able to handle a trailer with a GVWR of up to 6000 lbs.

In short, you should be good to go with that Jayco.

Sorry....SBEC = short box extended cab and it is a 4X4.  I think it has a max tow rating of 7700 pounds.
This why I am trying to stay close to the 6000 GVWR figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom