An imaginary dilemma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

I am swimming in pictures... what now?

With the advent of digital cameras, we are all in trouble. It's called overload.

I have only had a digitals camera for about 6 years. First there was a Caribbean cruise. Took over 300 pictures. The ship, its smokestack, the radar antennae, towns, seagulls, mountains, trees etc. etc.

Then there were a couple more cruises, same thing. I decided to put them all on CDs. Quite cheap to do. Looked at them all once; now they are on the shelf waiting... to be looked at again. All images are spectacular, at least to my eyes. Maybe in a few years the time will come to spend hours viewing them again.

Then there is the shoe box with pictures from yore, some 70 years old. Last time I looked at them was also a few years ago. I think I threw out my hundreds of transparent slides, can't find them anymore. The projector and screen are long gone.

Now I have a bunch of current pix from RV travels; Baja, about 40 US States and Canada, as well as Sicily and Italy. A bunch are on paper and a whole bunch on CDs and in the computer.

What am I gonna do? I thought about adding up all the pixels to get a perspective on the situation. I am losing sleep these days just thinking about it.  ;D

Have been reading the "CATHY" cartoons lately; which brought on this little post.  8)

Someone, or all, give me an idea what you plan to do with your 60 trillion pixels. Are they recyclable?  ::)

carson FL

!. Label the pics well and consistently. For the current trip it is:
      20080714 NFLD Gros Morne-014 for the 14th pic of the day at Gros More Nat park on newfoundland.

2. Trash the really bad pics.

3. Duplicate the folder with the current set of pics. Save only the best of the best and trash 90%. Now you have a summary to show to others while keeping an archive of all the pics.

4. Find a way to effortlessly display the summary pics.

I have a Mac (PC also can be used for this) and the AppleTV which is hard wired to the TV and wirelessly connected to the computer. Transfer or stream the pics to the AppleTV. Apple supplies a tiny remote to play slideshows on the TV. Now that OS 2 for the iphone is out there is a software remote that controls itunes and AppleTV via wifi. iPod touch runs this program as well.

Great idea Mahoney, my biggest problem is remembering when, where and why they were taken.

My post was a bit of satire, although I have my favorites labeled and stored for easy access in the future. You are right that 90% are always ready for the trashcan after a while.

Is image overload the same as information overload? :)

Anyone want a bushel of pixels?

carson FL

If you want a serious suggestion as to keeping track of your images, I have found Adobe Lightroom an effective tool for post processing & keeping track of over 29K images. You can search by EXIF data, keywords, etc. & it will replace Photoshop for most processing.  If you are not interested in workflow, you might look at Microsoft's ExpressionMedia. Very fast, lots of search options, and some editing, although not up to Lightroom or Apple's Aperture's capabilities.

carson, my suggestions:

- Buy a extern harddisk and free your PC from your pictures by saving them to that harddisk. Your PC will breathe deeply after that.
- Take one folder after another and click yourself through the pictures with that buildt-in Windows-Tool - not an extra software. So it is easy to eliminate the unwanted, bad pictures: <See - Decide - "del" - See the next picture>. In my opinion the easiest way to clear the folders from pictures. Look for duplicates (and near-duplicates) - eliminate the worst until only one, the best, is left. Look for pictures you don't know where taken, why taken and what to see. You'll never ask for them in the future (but you'll ask where, why and what when you keep them). If there is a photo out of focus, over- or exposed, you'll never do anything with it - delete it. If you keep it you will get angry every time you see it.
- Look for a cheap archiv-software that fits your amount of pictures. Take time (and a good drink) and add tags to the (less then before) pictures. As said use logical tags with date, event, location, persons, objects....

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom