One side of electrical outlets work; others do not! ---Ideas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loboshe

I have a small Coleman popup. When we took it out recently, the outlet by the right bed didn't work, nor did the one by the door, and neither did the refrigerator.  Yet, on the left side by the other bed, THAT outlet works.

The outlet for the refrigerator doesn't work. I can only make it work by plugging in an extension cord from an outside source.

I can't find breakers and think that could be the problem. WHERE ARE THEY??  ???

Monte

To get the refrigerator to work, I plugged it in from the house to an outside plug. 

Check to see if any of them are GFI controlled.   An tripped GFI will turn off all outlets below it electrically.  Reset it.    It that checks out negative, check for a tripped circuit breaker.

In a pop up breakers can be hard to find.. however what you need to do is trace wires

Now.. You have one of two power inlet systems.. Either there is a cord, that passes through the wall, or there is a power "inlet" (it's like an outlet save it's a plug instead of a socket in most cases. In any case it is the place you hook up a cord)

If your have a hard wired cord... Well, the breakers are on the end of it, it's that simple, it runs direct to the breaker box. Just follow the cord

If you have an inlet.. Then see if you can spot the back side of the inlet.. and follow the wire that's attached there

You will find the breaker box quickly enough.

Carl L said:
Check to see if any of them are GFI controlled.  An tripped GFI will turn off all outlets below it electrically.  Reset it.    It that checks out negative, check for a tripped circuit breaker.

What does GFI stand for?

Thanks.

I have a cord that pulls out and plugs into a source of electricity. I went in to where it goes into a box, but the end of the wires are just metal clips that plug into each other. ???  I'm lost.

John In Detroit said:
In a pop up breakers can be hard to find.. however what you need to do is trace wires

Now.. You have one of two power inlet systems.. Either there is a cord, that passes through the wall, or there is a power "inlet" (it's like an outlet save it's a plug instead of a socket in most cases. In any case it is the place you hook up a cord)

If your have a hard wired cord... Well, the breakers are on the end of it, it's that simple, it runs direct to the breaker box. Just follow the cord

If you have an inlet.. Then see if you can spot the back side of the inlet.. and follow the wire that's attached there

You will find the breaker box quickly enough.

GFI = ground fault interrupter, just like the ones in a stick house. They have a pair of buttons between the receptacles in a duplex. Sometimes they'll have some of the receptacles wired to one GFI and the remaining receptacles wired to a different GFI. One of the GFI's might have tripped. If so, all you need do is push a button to reset it.

OK, I feel pretty stupid. They are generally marked red and white, and these were marked brown. And with me having cataracts, I couldn't see it.  So I just went in and pushed the button--VOILA. Everything now works!!

Thank you.

p.s Am getting cataract surgery in August. lol.

Tom said:
GFI = ground fault interrupter, just like the ones in a stick house. They have a pair of buttons between the receptacles in a duplex. Sometimes they'll have some of the receptacles wired to one GFI and the remaining receptacles wired to a different GFI. One of the GFI's might have tripped. If so, all you need do is push a button to reset it.

Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for the feedback.

Pretty sneaky of them having brown buttons.

Our GFI outlets have white buttons, the same color as the outlet, and hard to see unless you look close.  And one is on the underside of a cabinet and can't be seen without stooping.

You can change the GFI s for ones with button colors that are more visible  ;)

Nah, I know, now, when one of them trips just by what stops working :)

Back
Top Bottom