XP SP3 - KB936929 (Help - Ned?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Ms is inviting me to download SP3. I currently have XP Home SP2.

Is it wise for me to go to SP3 now, (Am perfectly happy with SP2 now). What are the consequences if I don't get SP3.

This may be old hat, but what do I know?  ;D

Your recommendation will be appreciated.

carson FL

Yes, get SP3.  If you have one of the few systems that had a problem, you will need to get a patch first.  The known problem systems were discussed here in another thread shortly after SP3 was released.

Carson - you almost certainly will not notice any major new stuff since most of the SP is under-the-hood changes to security and stability and possibly speed.

Thank you Ned and Newt,

I downloaded SP3 this morning; a smooth and perfect download.

I knew of the earlier postings on this subject but did not follow it too closely. Thought I'd wait until all the conversation ended and no further problems were found.

carson FL

I finally plucked up the courage to install XP SP3 on my notebook today, having previously held off because of some of the negative reports. Everything went fine, although CounterSpy kept stopping the process and reporting that xxx was changing stuff in the registry. I told it to allow the changes, and all appears well. I haven't yet checked everything out.

It's best to disable any AV software when installing service packs.  Some of them have been known to cause an SP install to fail by being overzealous.

Too late, it's already installed  :(  But I'll remember next time.

Hm, maybe I should disable automatic updates that I just accepted for future updates.

Set the automatic updates to notify only.  Then go to Windows Update and review the updates before downloading and installing.  Also gives you time to see what the press has to say about them when there are major updates, like service packs.

That's the way I had them set previously. Now, were is that setting?

HFWPOH, thanks Ned. However, it won't let me change the setting.

You have to be running as an administrator.

There's only one account on this machine - Owner/Administrator, but I guess it doesn't have admin powers. Must be another Windows feature that is beyond my comprehension.

Where did I put that Linux download?

Edit: Operator error. Was clicking on the wrong link. Windows sure wants to control this stuff.

PEBKAC, Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair :)

That's true Ned, but it sure wasn't obvious. I kept clicking on the setting and all it did was display a description. Completely missed the links lower down the window.

MS did kind of hide those links, they don't really want the user to mess with the default settings.

I can understand why MS wouldn't want people changing the settings. It wasn't the prior default setting on my machine, or at least wasn't my long time prior setting. It got flipped when I checked a box during yesterday's SP3 install. Prior to that it was set to notify me, not auto install. I can't recall changing it from auto install to notify, OTOH I can't recall what happened last week.

I  believe that SP3 changed the setting to the default of automatic download and install.  I recall having to reset it myself after SP3.

Back
Top Bottom