50 AMP Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teallen51

Hopefully, someone in the forum has had experience hooking up a 50 amp service.  Let me begin - I am not an electrician.  I have been reading other threads about putting in a 50 amp service at home (in garage) to hook my 5er up while parked in the drive.  Not comfortable using an ext. cord in a 15/20 amp circuit as I am doing now.  My questions are:

1.  Do I run two 120v hot, neutral and ground for the circuit?
2.  What quage wire should I use?
3.  Any other info I need to have to make this happen.

Thanks for your help

For 50amp Service you will need;

1.  Room in your Service Box for a double-pole 50amp Circuit Breaker.

2. Three wire #8 conductor (Black, Red, White and Bare copper).

3 A Four-Pin female receptacle (water-proof) that matches the 50amp Male plug on your 5ver.

The Black and Red Wires will connect to the poles on the CB and the White and Bare wires will connect to the applicable terminal strips in Service Box.

What I did at my storage spot is use #10 wire (lots cheaper) and double 30amp Circuit Breake.  Since my A/C's are on separate legs of the 220v coming from the Power Post, I can run both A/C's, I generally do not and I never run the Microwave or Clothes Dryer when the A/C's are running.

Wire size will depend on how far the 50A outlet is from the service center.  You can use this site to calculate the required wire size.  If you're not comfortable with electrical wiring, you might be better advised to hire an electrician to do the installation.

Thanks for the advice,  I will be doing the grunt work,  (run the wire) and have a electrician do the hook up. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom