Huge electrical problem! WHAT HAPPENED NOW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loboshe

What a day.  :-\

I posted below about not having power in two of three wall outlets or the refrig--all on the right side. We finally figured out to push the GFI reset button--I stupidly didn't see if since it's the same color. That solved the problem.

THEN....as we were plugging back in several items--wife's laptop, the window AC (yup, we bought a window AC which sits on a stand outside), and the fan, all the power seemed to drop down, go back up...as if there was a power surge. Suddenly, the SAME outlets stopped working, as well as ALL lights stopped working, the refrig stopped working....the ONLY thing that works is what always worked--the plug under one of the beds to the left. Huh??.  NOTHING else works now.

I have traced the main power plug all the way into the box and there are no fuses in it. Seems to be fine. I've taken out the GFI plug system--it appears to be ok.  I checked out all the wires where the refrig plugs in--can only find 6 volt fuses. They are fine.

Did I possibly blow something in the GFI?? The button doesn't pop out.

Thanks for help AGAIN.

What 'circuit' are you getting power for the Window AC.  Your description sounds like an overload.  You have probably 'cooked' the GFI, will need a new one.

Before you install the new GFI take the time and check the the AC paperwork for the starting current and steady state current.  If your AC is plugged into the same circuit as the Fridge it is very likely that the Fridge and AC starting together exceeds the capacity of the GFI.

Suggest you wire a separate circuit for AC, you might try connecting it directly to the 115v 15/20amp receptacal on the CG Power Post if you are at a CampGround.  If you are at home use a separate heavy duty (12 gauge wire) for the AC.

On my '92 Coleman pop-up the outlet by the larger of the two beds is on a 20amp breaker.  The kitchen area (GFI) breaker is 15amp.  Make sure you are using the 20A one (with nothing else plugged into it) for your A/C.  My converter is located under the dinette table on the Coleman Chesapeake.  Hope this helps, lou

A/C on a itty bitty Coleman!  From your description it sounds like your unit has no circuit breakers protecting its 120VAC circuits.   In fact, circuits maybe should be singular.   Your 15 amp GFI was probably the only protection on the circuit.   That A/C unit imposes a helluva load and voltage drop on the circuit with the start up of its compressor -- it is in the nature of A/C units.  

As Weewun said, you probably have fried the GFI.  Replace it.   In the future keep that A/C off the trailer's circuitry, plug it into the campground 15 amp circuit directly on the power post.  If that would compete with the trailer's plug in, then get a 30amp/15amp adapter for the A/C and plug it into the 30amp receptacle on the power post.

In most rigs you have the park power pedestal which provides all shore power to the rig.. Next you may have a device called a transfer switch,, or not, depending on the rig...  Then comes the main breaker and possibly an Energy Management System.

Next we have the  branch breakers, that feed the various devices.. One of these feeds the GFCI, which is an Interrupter, not a breaker, it cares less about current total and more about current balance.

Then we have the assorted outlets and devices

Hooking all this up is wire, and connections can go bad

Also, sometimes there are secondary breakers, For example if you have an inverter it too may have breakers.

Step one is to check all breakers, If you have an inverter check it for breakers,  If that fails we start chasing power down.

Thanks everyone. I found the breaker panel with the fuses and switches under the table. All this time, I thought it was the heater vent.  This forum is invaluable.

loboshe said:
What a day.  :-\

I posted below about not having power in two of three wall outlets or the refrig--all on the right side. We finally figured out to push the GFI reset button--I stupidly didn't see if since it's the same color. That solved the problem.

THEN....as we were plugging back in several items--wife's laptop, the window AC (yup, we bought a window AC which sits on a stand outside), and the fan, all the power seemed to drop down, go back up...as if there was a power surge. Suddenly, the SAME outlets stopped working, as well as ALL lights stopped working, the refrig stopped working....the ONLY thing that works is what always worked--the plug under one of the beds to the left. Huh??.  NOTHING else works now.

I have traced the main power plug all the way into the box and there are no fuses in it. Seems to be fine. I've taken out the GFI plug system--it appears to be ok.  I checked out all the wires where the refrig plugs in--can only find 6 volt fuses. They are fine.

Did I possibly blow something in the GFI?? The button doesn't pop out.

Thanks for help AGAIN.

May we assume you found one breaker in the "TRIPPED" position (or more) and cycling it restored you to the light?

(Restored power to the dead outlets)

If you are using a window AC in your PUP, you might want to utilize a heavy duty extension cord and run the AC directly from the CG electric pedistal as the compressor of a window unit has one heck of a draw and you might find yourself replacing fuses/breakers and damaging components of your converter.

Most PUP's have a 20amp dedicated circuit to power the roof-top AC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom