Which Clubs, Associations, Organizations to join?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayou Talker

While I am not totally new to RVing, most of our recent camping has been on private property and not in commercial campgrounds. We are currently returning to campgrounds after a long hiatus and I was wondering what RV related groups are worth joining.

A bit about us would probably be in order. We are both still employed so our excursions are limited to weekends and the occasional vacation. Normally we don't travel much more than 2-3 hours away for a weekend but have traveled as much as 600 miles for a vacation. I guess what I am looking for is information on which services are worth the money for our style of use and which are really not.

Thanks for any information.

Ron said:
There has recently been some discussion on this subject HERE that might help.

Thanks Ron,

Actually that discussion is what started me thinking about asking this question. In fact, some of the organizations that you mentioned in that thread I have never heard of and don't know much about. I know there are many of you here that have much more experience than I do and might be able to recommend something that might be worth having that I hadn't heard about.

As far Good Sam, we are currently members and have been for about 2 years (this time) and often think about whether or not it is worth what we are paying for it. I guess the discounts might offset the fees if you stay in the right places. I guess as we find places to camp we will find out if it pays for us.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I doubt if it is worth your while to join ANY organizations in your present circumstances. However, you may find educational and pleasure value in either the FMCA (if you have a motorhome) or the Escapees (trailer or motorhome).

RV Roamer said:
I doubt if it is worth your while to join ANY organizations in your present circumstances. However, you may find educational and pleasure value in either the FMCA (if you have a motorhome) or the Escapees (trailer or motorhome).

Thanks RV Roamer,

That is what I was looking for. I knew you guys would be able to offer some good advice. I don't mind paying for something if it has value to me but, like most people I don't like paying for something just to say I have it.

I do have one more question though. What is the best value for roadside assistance? I have insurance but is there a good organization that I can depend on to provide services in case I need them? I ask this as I recently had a blown tire during a long trip and it got me to thinking. In this case I was able to pop on the spare and keep on going but ....What if?????

Bayou Talker said:
We are currently returning to campgrounds after a long hiatus and I was wondering what RV related groups are worth joining.We are both still employed so our excursions are limited to weekends and the occasional vacation. Normally we don't travel much more than 2-3 hours away for a weekend but have traveled as much as 600 miles for a vacation. I guess what I am looking for is information on which services are worth the money for our style of use and which are really not.

IF the campgrounds in your 2 to 3 hour driving  radius of travel are Passport America Parks, they offer 50 % off and it might just pay for that membership.  You would have to check their guides and see where their parks are located in relationship to you.
Betty

For  most memberships to be economically valuable, you have to use them fairly extensively to break even. Passport America (or the similar Camp Club) are not expensive and can pay off rather quickly IF there are parks you  would use in your travel radius.

Most of us here prefer Coach-Net for a road service but the Good Sam service is also good.  Coach-net offers some additional services, e.g. telephone tech support on any sort of RV problem, in addition to towing and roadside service.  Pricing is pretty much the same and both offer a first year discount for new members. I know some people who switch back & forth so that they are always a "new member"

http://www.fmca.com/
Family Motor Coach Association has a number of benefits that part timers and fulltimers can use.  It also has local Chapters so you can be active even within a local radius.  I recommend them.

www.escapeesrvclub.com
I never get bored with this site and the people in it.  Numerous benefits and discounts.  You can participate with them on a part time or fulltime basis.

Good Sam overwhelmed me with junk mail.  I just could not throw enough of it away.  They do have some benefits and advantages.  

Once you hook up with one of these you will find a whole new world for RV's out there

RV Forum I found by accident and it has been one of the best finds ever.  Just good info and good people.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Because of their Junk mail and our roadside experience of waiting alongside the highway for over six hours we would never recommend GS to anybody.  Escapees, FMCA (for MH owners), and Passport America on the other hand are excellent organizations.

Thanks for all of the information so far. After someone mentioned Escapees I checked out the site and I think I will join. It looks to be well worth the money. I will also look at the others mentioned here. As for GS, I guess I am lucky as I don't get much junk mail from them but I haven't been to too many campgrounds that honor the discount either. I guess I will keep it another year and see what happens.

Phil, I totally agree that finding this forum was a blessing. I have already found a lot of very good info here and some very helpful people. Thanks to everyone.

I haven't been to too many campgrounds that honor the discount either

Cliff, if you look in the Trailer Life Campground Directory they include the Good Sam symbol next to the campgrounds that give Good Sam discounts.  There may be more of these campgrounds than you think if you've not been using the directory.

ArdraF

ArdraF,

I just purchased the Trailer Life CD this past weekend. In the past I have used the website to find campgrounds. As we look for new places to stay I always look to see what discounts are accepted. So far, I have not found many in this area that offer this discount but then again, I haven't checked out many of them yet. I will give it a fair test to se if it works for us.

Thanks

Yes, Cliff, it could just be your locale.  There's another factor.  In our lengthy 2006 trip (five months) we talked with several campground owners who were trying to decide whether to advertise in the Woodalls or Trailer Life directories.  They had been advertising in both and apparently Woodalls had just instituted a big price increase.  As a result, they felt the need to drop one or the other.  They were asking people who checked into their campground which directory they used to help make their decision.  I can see where smaller campgrounds might drop both which would be a shame, but the economics of advertising affects all of us RVers.

ArdraF

Cliff:

Another advantage of GS or any of the other clubs, which may or may not appeal to you, is belong to a chapter.  Usually there is one located near you or in your state at least.  (Most states have several).  These people  become a second family, as they usually gather in different parks within their area, and usually go out one weekend a month, weather permitting.  Winter months in northern states they may meet in a restaurant for dinner.  This keeps you involved with other RVers and will add to your learning curve.  Also, they are usually small in size, so you get to know one another easily.  Just a thought.

Daisy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom