Hitch selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turfhead

Okay, I am a little inexperienced when it comes to selecting a hitch and weight for our "as yet unselected" TT.  I've got a 2005 Durango with a V-8.  The GVWR is 6600 and the hitch capacity (as stated on the hitch itself) is 5000 with a 500 lb TW if a "load bearing" hitch is used, and 7500# with a 750# TW if a "load distributing" hitch is used.  I am assuming since 7500# is over the 6600# GVWR of the TV I can't go that high.  My question is this... How big can I go???  What hitch should I get??  Should I just get a MH and not worry about all of this??!!  I've got a family of 5 and a dog so I need space, but I don't want to kill the Durango, nor do I want to be unsafe going down the road!

I read through some other threads about all of the different weight ratings, hitches, etc, and managed to confuse myself even more!

A little help from the veterans would be nice.

The hitch capacity is not directly related to the GVWR or limited by it. The GVWR limits the loads directly carried on the chassis, which means only the trailer tongue weight (TW).

The number you need to be concerned with is GCWR - Gross COMBINED Weight Rating (see the RV Glossary for more info). The Max Trailer Towing is derived from the GCWR and may be less than the hitch itself is rated for.  According to the 2005 Trailer Life Towing Guide, a 2005 Durango with the 4.7L V8 can tow 7400 lbs and with the 5.7L V8 it can tow 8950 lbs. The GCWR is 12,500 for the 4.7L and 14,000 for the 5.7L version. With the 5.7L configuration, the hitch becomes the limiting factor at 7500 lbs, but with the 4.7L engine the vehicle limits the hitch slightly.  And with a 4x4, the numbers are slightly decreased.

Which one do you have? 4.7L or 5.7L and 4x4 or 4x2?

Gary,

I've got the 4.7L 4x4.  Should the GCWR be listed on the vehicle?  I have looked at the sticker on the driver's door where it has the GVWR and did not see GCWR.  Maybe I need to look harder.

Thanks for the info though.

Turfhead said:
Okay, I am a little inexperienced when it comes to selecting a hitch and weight for our "as yet unselected" TT.  I've got a 2005 Durango with a V-8.  The GVWR is 6600 and the hitch capacity (as stated on the hitch itself) is 5000 with a 500 lb TW if a "load bearing" hitch is used, and 7500# with a 750# TW if a "load distributing" hitch is used.  I am assuming since 7500# is over the 6600# GVWR of the TV I can't go that high.  My question is this... How big can I go???  What hitch should I get??  Should I just get a MH and not worry about all of this??!!   I've got a family of 5 and a dog so I need space, but I don't want to kill the Durango, nor do I want to be unsafe going down the road!

OK, what you need is simplification.  Your Durango has a tow rating of 7200 lbs per Trailer Life's 2005 tow rating tables.  Allowing a 10% safety factor, that means that the largest trailer it should haul is one with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 6480 lbs or less.  However, if you would tow out in the  mountain or Pacific west, you need to allow for the high altitudes and long grades so you should make that GVWR 5760 lbs or less.  Respecting those limits will keep you reasonably safe.

The limits on the hitch receiver apply to the receiver itself and not to the limits of the truck.  It is sufficient for the GVWRs I gave you.  You will buy a load distributing hitch, you cannot safely haul such a trailer without one.  You should buy one with an integral anti-sway mechanism such as the Hensley Arrow, the Reese Dual Cam, or the Equal-i-zer.  I do not recommend the friction sway-bar units.

Thanks, guys.

I am surprised at the capability of the Durango.  I was thinking that I would have to stay under 5000# with it.  Guess I underestimated my TV!  I think I will still keep it around 5000# to be on the safe side!

Thanks again!

I agree with you , keep it near a max of 5000. The Durango is short and high and lack the weight and wheel base for good control of a heavy trailer. Not saying it can not pull it I am saying on a winding wet road going down hill at night you want weight and a long wheel base to have as much control over the trailer as possible, two cents paid in full! :D

Hello All, newbie here ???
Sorry to be a little off topic but would like to know the pros & cons of a 8ft box VS short box for towing a 5th wheel?
Planing retirement and starting to look at the Dodge diesels 5.9.....is my choice.
Are there any great advantages having the 8ft box ?
Thanks
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom