1998 National Dolphin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ljkaine

Hello,
We are new to RVing. We bought a Dolphin and are trying to figure things out at we go along. Can anyone tell us how to start the hot water heater? There seems to be a remote switch that we need to turn on but we can't seem to find it?

Gary, one of our staffers, used to own a Dolphin and hopefully he'll be along shortly.

Thank you. My husband and I will appreciate any information. We did not get any info on how to do anything from the person we purchased it from.

There actually are two switches for your water heater, one for electric mode and another for gas (LP). The 2002 Dolphin LX I had was an all new design vs your 98, so I can't help you much with switch location. My LP mode switch was on a central control panel in the hallway adjacent to the bath and the electric mode switch on a cabinet front by the bathroom sink, but yours may be elsewhere.

The electric mode switch will look like a typical residential light switch while the gas mode switch is a smaller black switch that usually has a tiny red light adjacent to it to indicate gas ignition.  You can use have either gas or electric mode switched on, or use both simultaneously if you need rapid heating.

Thank you for your response. There is one red switch by the entrance door that we are not sure what it does. It just says COMP under it and is located near the exterior light switches, like the Porch and Steps. Also on the outside of the RV is small door that has the hot water electronics. Attached is a three prong cord that is not plugged into anything. Do you know if that should that be plugged into a 110 power source?

I don't know what COMP might be - doesn't call any RV appliance to mind. It is unusual to have the water heater gas switch near the door, but I've learned over the years that anything is possible.  Without the COMP label, I would guess that a red switch in that location would be the battery disconnect, which removes all 12v power from the coach and is used for storage. Have you tried it?

The electrical cord in the water heater compartment suggests that the heater may not have built-in electric heating capability and that an add-on electric heat element was used. These go under brand names such as Hott Rod and Lightning Rod. PLugging them in supplies electric heating for the water.  Could you post the brand name (e.g. Atwood or Suburban) of the heater and the model number so we can verify what it capabilities are?

If you could post pictures of the water heater with the plug and the switches by the door, we might be able to guess better.

ljkaine said:
Thank you for your response. There is one red switch by the entrance door that we are not sure what it does. It just says COMP under it and is located near the exterior light switches, like the Porch and Steps...

"COMP" may be short for "compartments."  On my MH there is a switch that will turn off the lights in the storage compartments.  You would use it if you thought you might have left a light on in one.

Back
Top Bottom