EBay seller will not honor auction - advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patlewis

Can anyone help? I recently won an auction and the seller won't follow through. Here is what happened:

1. On July 17th, 2008 I bid on a 2007 Forest River Sandpiper 325RG 5th wheel travel trailer that was listed on the E-Bay online auction site. :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2007-Sandpiper-5th-wheel-by-Forest-River-BELOW-COST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em14Q2el1318QQhashZitem160260333350QQitemZ160260333350
This trailer was listed by a RV dealership in Tucson Arizona doing business as Nelson?s RV. When the auction ended, on that same day, I was the winning bidder with a bid of $15,255.57. 

2. Following the completion of the auction, I made the necessary $250 deposit using PayPal to Nelson?s RV. The remainder of the amount was to be paid within 7 days of the completion of the auction.

3. Prior to placing my bid on E-Bay, I had researched the RV online and found that Nelson?s had it listed for sale on many web sites including, but not limited to, Craig?s List, RVUSA, RV Trader, Forest River Source, RV Towables, NelsonsRV and RVT. In all cases the RV was listed for sale at $29,999 and was pitched at being ?under dealer invoice?.

4. When I was able to win the auction at $15,255.57, I was immediately concerned that the seller might not want to honor their side of the deal, because the price was so much less than they were asking on other websites. Nevertheless, I knew that as a dealership, they understood auctions very well and had knowingly and willingly auctioned it off. I reasoned that since the 2009 models were now out, that they might be very anxious to get rid of a new 2007 model they still had on hand.

5. On the morning of July 18th, 2007 I sent an e-mail to the dealership through E-Bay telling them that I had made the necessary deposit and requesting that someone call me to discuss payment arrangements for the balance due.

6. Later that morning I called the dealership and spoke with ?James? because I never received a call. He stated that he was just a bookkeeper and that I needed to speak with ?Jim? who was not yet in. He took my name and number and told me that Jim would call me back in 1 hour.

7. An hour and half later I called back because I never received a call. James informed me that Jim was still out and that he had been trying to reach him by cell phone. He assured me that I would get a call back in another hour.

8. At 12:33 pm on July 18th, 2007 I received the following email:
07-18-2008
Patrick Lewis,

We are devastated with our discovery this morning of a swarm of Africanized killer bees in the 2007 Sandpiper 325RG 5th wheel that you have a deposit on.  We have used multiple poisons in an attempt eradicate them.  We have vacuumed up the bees that covered the floors, cabinets, and furniture.  We tried to clean the traces of honey on the countertops and cabinet tops as completely as possible.  This is one of the terrible acts of Mother Nature we have in Arizona.  As best we can determine, the bees entered from the door that had been left opened yesterday morning.  The interior of this trailer does have a strong chemical odor from the poison and is TOXIC.    Our insurance regulations prohibit us from selling this 5th wheel at this time.

Due to these circumstances beyond our control, we are unable to proceed with the sale of this 2007 Sandpiper 325RG 5th wheel.  This vehicle is unsafe for occupancy or use.  We are therefore refunding your deposit at this time.  We have attached several photos. Watch Ebay for other close-outs we will be posting soon.

James Nelson
Toll free 1-929-8527

0718080939.jpg

0718080940.JPG

0718080941.JPG

9. Upon reviewing the enclosed pictures and corresponding file names, it is obvious that they have been altered. The middle picture could not have been taken 2nd as the file names indicate. Furthermore, its picture quality is visibly different than the other two pictures. It seems obvious that the middle picture was taken sometime after the first two, probably on another day altogether and possibly with a different camera.

10. The two cans of ?TOXIC? chemicals pictured in the second picture are indoor household foggers manufactured by Hot Shot and Ortho. Both were designed to be used, and are safe, for indoor use.

11. Within a few minutes of receiving the e-mail, I received another from PayPal indicating that my deposit had been refunded by Nelson RV.

12. After receiving this e-mail, I looked up the chemicals in question on the internet. I then called my local attorney for advice, as I believed that Nelson?s RV was trying to back out of the deal and was being disingenuous.

13. My attorney advised me that he felt all the elements were in place for a contract and that even if their story were true, it should be my decision as to whether I wanted to accept the trailer in that condition. If a product that has been offered for sale does not turn out to be as advertised, then the buyer can decide to not go through with the sale. He told me that if I wanted it, I should send them an E-mail explaining my position and see how they respond. He further told me that if legal action were required, I would need to hire counsel in Arizona as he was not licensed to practice there.

14. I sent the following e-mail at 5:13 MST on 7-18-08:
James,

After discussions with my attorney today and reviewing material safety data sheets of both the Ortho and Hot Shot brand indoor foggers that you used, I have decided that I will still take the 5th wheel. Thank you for disclosing the unfortunate event.

I would like to send a local representative to your dealership to inspect the unit as my agent. I would also like to resubmit the necessary deposit as required in our contract.

Please call me to arrange a time for closing as I intend on traveling to Arizona to pick up the Sandpiper within the next week.

Regards,

Patrick J. Lewis

15. At 9:45PM MST on 7-18-08 I re-deposited the $250 via PayPal to Nelson RV.

16. On the morning of 7-19-08 I spoke with a business associate,  who lives in Tucson. He has a lot of experience with RV?s as he worked for many years in his prior job as the service manager for a large Tucson area RV dealership. He indicated he would be willing to help me evaluate the RV when I went to pick it up, and I could call him with questions prior. I told him that I would wait and see what happened.

17. At 10:54AM MST on 7-19-08 I received the following e-mail from Nelson RV:

Hi

We have received your deposit on the 2007 Sandpiper 325rg 5th wheel, and someone will be in contact with you later on today (prior to 3:30pm Arizona time) to make arrangements.

Thanks

18. By 11:08AM MST, things had changed, as I received a call from Jim Nelson. Jim said that he understood that I ?think? I have bought a trailer from Nelson RV and that it was just EBay and Bee?s nonsense that I was talking to James Nelson about. But that he had the owner there, Angelita Nelson, and that he was going to put her on the phone. Angelita got on the phone and said ?You did not buy a trailer from us and to quit calling and e-mailing us.? I Responded that the trailer was offered to the highest bidder in an auction, and that I was the highest bidder. Therefore I believe we have a contract for the sale. Angelina replied forcefully, ?There is no contract! And we don?t even have the trailer anymore.? I responded by saying, that is not what the e-mails I have from you say, and I hope you still have the trailer because we have a deal. She then said in a very angry tone, ?We do not have a deal! And we will not allow you to swindle us out of $15,000.? At which point the phone went dead.

19. I felt like she hung up on me, but as it was my cell phone that they had called, I felt like perhaps the call was dropped. I tried to immediately call back, but the phone on the other end was picked up and then hung up immediately. This, in my mind, confirmed that she had hung up on me and that there would be no chance of working this out without seeking further legal assistance.

20. As of the morning of the 21st, I have had no further contact with the dealership. Also, they have not attempted to refund my deposit.

You should contact eBay with these details and let them deal with the seller. Similarly with PayPal - they're owned by eBay.

I hope you take them to the cleaners! 

African Killer Bees?  Just when you think you've heard all the scams, someone comes up with something new...African Killer Bees...I have got to wonder about the people that came up with that one! 

Please keep us posted, I can't speak for everyone here, but I am certainly pulling for you.

Steve

Just wondering...was the unit offered with 'No Reserve' ?  If dealership had placed a Reserve amount against it, even though you were the highest bidder, there would not be any contract or the dealership's  duty to perform.  At the close of the auction did you receive an email from ebay stating, in effect, "You are the winning bidder"  and outlining what next steps to take etc?  Being the highest bidder does not guarantee the sale.  I would be very surprised if there wasn't a reserve or 'Buy it now' price for the $29K

If it was a 'No reserve' auction and you were the winning bidder, this is definitely something ebay should be advised of.  You might also consider taking the issue up with a local TV station and have one of their troubleshooters do an 'on the spot' interview.  No body likes bad press, especially RV dealerships in these tough resale times. .

BT

Well, when you paste the link to the auction and go to the listing, it is still there, and says nothing about a reserve.  I think it's time to take 'em down.  There was even a question asked (I assume by Pat) during the auction about seeing it.  I think everything is legit here and they are trying to back out of their mistake (not posting a reserve price).  Definitely get E-Bay and PayPal involved, but most certainly have a lawyer standing by.  And keep those e-mails intact.  Those are some great evidence of them hoping you might back out of the deal on your own.  I anxiously await further reports on this one.

If they had been smart, they would have added a clause saying it was also listed locally.  (it was), and that gives them a reason to back out.  They would be lying, but they could say it had been sold. 

Is what they are doing legal?  Not according to what they agreed to with eBay in listing.  Notice they only have a 1 in feedback.  Newbies.  Pretty expensive lesson. 

You are listed as the official auction winner and Ebay will back you in stating that the auction IS  a contract (as your lawyer already told you) and that you have fulfilled your part of the deal as far as it went. Definitely contact Ebay and report the seller, but they can't actually do  much except to confirm that a contract exists and ban the seller from future auctions for his non-compliance.

Your attorney is your course of action and it's up to you whether it is worth the expense to follow through. Most people would not, which is how these shysters get away with this sort of thing.  You might also ask your attorney if there are grounds for a fraud indictment, which would get the matter out of the civil courts and into the criminal system at no expense to you. That won't get you a cheap trailer, but it might get this cheater permanently out of business without costing you a lot of money for the lawsuit.

I am just curious but what was the goal of this Dealer?  You advertise on Ebay and then withdraw the product at the very end just does not make sense.  Error by sales, still it is bad for business to not honor the sale.  It will be interesting to see where this ends.  Is it an intentional scam or a mistake by an incompetent sales person?
Phil

The old feeling that if it is too good to be true comes to mind.  I fear the hassle of this is not worth the possible gain of a half priced fifth wheel trailer.  However the contacting eBay and Paypal are good first steps and cost you little.

Depending on the laws in AZ a criminal action may be possible and get a bad dealer their just dues.  Contact the Tucson District Attorney and ask some questions.  Maybe the attorney general of AS could help you out.

I wish you well my friend.  Good luck.

John, you may have tried the links while I was making the live.  It took a couple of tries to get it right :)  Try them now.

What a horror story!  :mad: You may want to call the Arizona Attorney General's Consumer Fraud hotline, (520) 628-6504, or toll free 1-800-352-8431. They are also online, www.azag.gov. Also, the BBB is online and you can find the Tucson office to make a complaint there. Whatever your attorney advises, of course. You might check as he or she may not want you making a lot of public statements yet. Good luck and please post the final result.

I suspect the seller forgot to put a reserve price clause in the auction or forgot to withdraw it before the auction closed and got caught with his pants down.   

I don't think I'd let this one go.  I think I would fight it to the end.  The original list price of this unit was $44,731.  The winning bid was 1/3 of that ($15,255).  That's a heck of a deal in anybody's book!  The whole bee thing is a crock.  They're really going to try and say a swarm of Africanized Honey Bees invaded this trailer through an open door, and made enough of a mess to leave honey all over the cabinets!  Please.  I'm no bee expert, but for them to establish a hive like that would certainly take more than one day (James Nelson stated they came in "yesterday").  No, these guys owe you a dang nice trailer for an even dang nicer price.  I would fight this one based on principle alone!  If they forgot to put a reserve price on there (which I also suspect they did), that's not your problem.  That's their problem.  And it's one they need to just suck up and take it as a learning experience.  An expensive one, but still......

I to agree with the suggestion to contact E-Bay

Also if (From your post I gather Nelson's is in Arizonia) AZ Department of Motor Vehicles.

I do not believe their story as fumigating a trailer is a fairly straight forward job.

You may have other legal recourse as well however I'm not a lawyer and thus simply can not advise on that
(In other words I DO NOT  KNOW)

Thank you to all who gave advice. Both pro and con pursuing the matter. Anyone who knows of other cases similar to this one, references would be much appreciated. I do not know yet, if I will legally go after this. I may or I may not.

To those that wonder if it was a mistake on the listers part to not have a reserve, I have my own opinion. I don't necessarily think that it was. You see this is NEW 2007 model. The 2009 models are coming out. They are trying to get rid of this trailer. They advertised it at BELOW COST. They described it to me as a close out model. I believe that is exactly what it was. I think that they didn't make a mistake, they made a mis-judgement. They simply did not believe it would go for as little as it did.

Why do I think that? Look closely at the bid history and tell me what you see. My winning bid on this trailer happened in the last few seconds of the auction. Someone was bidding against me at the end, but they just weren't fast enough. How about all the bids on the last day by the same person raising their own bid all afternoon? That person didn't even have any feedback. Legit? Hrmmm, I don't know.

At any rate, I refuse to believe that any sort of dealership is novice to auctions. I also refuse to believe that there is no governing UC Codes for these types of transactions. There need only be three elements to have a contract. Offer, Acceptance, and Consideration. And, if it isn't a real estate deal, they do not need to be in writing. This deal, however has full documentation of all three elements.

To those that think that there is no contract, there is. To those same people who say that I am SOL, you may be right!  :mad:

My goal for posting this here is to reach out to the membership for similar experiences and research. I want to win this on principle.

I am not an unreasonable person. I bid a fair amount for that trailer. (You all only know the winning bid, not my maximum which the auction never got to) I know that 15k for a nice trailer like that is an amazing buy. But I don't think I am dealing with reasonable  people. In my opinion, I don't think I am dealing with ethical people. I was certainly not treated with respect. So therefore I am finding it hard to simply walk away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom