AXEL bent on Jayco 1995 Popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lizapete

On our vacation (towing a Jayco 1207 popup) we had 2 flat tires and the mechanic said our axel was bent.  RV Repair wants to charge us $1200 to fix it.  They said it is a torsion axel. 

Is that a normal price?  I'm not sure we can fix it.  Should we get a "2nd opinion"? 

Liz

Torsion axles are common on pop-ups, so the repair shop is probably right about that. I have no idea whether the $1200 price is reasonable, but it sounds high for an axle on a relatively inexpensive rig. Did they break it down into labor and parts?  You might want to call around some other places to see what they would charge to replace an axle (does not have to be an RV place - nothing unique about a trailer axle). Or even consider doing it yourself.

I would definately look around and check some prices, as in the previous post, an axle can be replaced just about anywhere ...

Thank you for your replies! 

I did call around.  I live in MN but the parts place I found was in Indiana.  Anyway The shop that quoted me $1200 said it was $700 for the axel, $250 for the shipping, and the rest was labor. 

But the parts place in Indiana told me they could sell, tax and ship it to me for only $741 ! 

That's quite a difference.

I don't know what is fair for labor, actually, but I could look around.  I gave them my VIN # and they got the part from that. 

I thought it would have to be the dealer.  I didn't know anyone could safely do that.

Thanks, everyone!

Liz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom