Running off the battery ... ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caper1973

Still quite new to this whole popup trailer scene and this is likely a silly question to most but I know someone has the answer ...

Just replaced a 4 yr old battery with half charge with a brand new deep cycle battery in our P/U and unplugged ithe power to test that the battery was indeed working.  The outside light and ceiling lights stayed on, but the electrical outlets did not work ... What do I need to do in order to make everything work strictly from battery power ...?

thanks in advance ...

The electrical outlets only work when you are plugged into 110 Volt AC service.  They do not work off of the battery which is 12 Volts DC.

If you had a motorhome or a big fifith wheel trailer with a huge battery bank you could install an inverter and your A/C circuits, maybe.  Even then you would probably use a generator.

Your single battery is not going to be able to handle anything like that kind if load.  Be happy it can run your 12VDC lighting, and maybe a stereo or a fridge and water pump.  That is all it is supposed to do.

Thanks to you both ... as i said, probably a silly question, but at the same time simply something I didn't know, still a newbie in lots of way ... thanks again ! :D

If you want to have 110v available when you have battery only you will need to add a small inverter, say 200 to 400 watt.  That would be enough to charge your cell phone, digital camera or small laptop computer for a day or two before you would need to recharge the battery.  With a single battery you would not be able to run any large draw stuff like a microwave oven.

Your PUP has two electrical systems - 12volt for lighting, water pump, furnace fan and a 120-volt electric system for the outlets and appliances (if you have a 3-way refrigerator, you have a choice of 120-volt or propane).

You might consider disconnecting the battery when not camping as your propane leak detector is direct wired and draws from the battery 24/7 so can kill the battery in as little as 2 weeks.

Your PUP also has a 'converter' which converts 120-volt alternating current to 12-volt, as well as a wee bit of a charge to your battery.

Your owners manual has a much better explanation and you might want to take the time to read it - lots of good info there.  If you do not have an owners manual, you can download one from the 'owners manual' link at www.popupportal.com

Happy camping!

Don't be too discouraged.  There are many appliances made to run on 12 volts.  TVs, coffee pots, most of the essentials.  Those that consume great amounts of power (usually those that heat things) will deplete your batts rapidly.  If that is a problem, consider a solar panel to recharge when the sun is up.  You won't be able to run a washer dryer, but you can make coffee, etc.

I have an 80w Sharp solar panel that keeps my battery topped off when dry camping. 

Alternatively, you can use a small generator, if you don't mind messing with the gas and the noise.

Back
Top Bottom