Travel Trailer electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanAZ

I recently purchased a 1994 prowler travel trailer. The ac unit would not turn on and it would not run a 1300 watt microwave. When I took it to the trailer repair shop, it worked just fine when they plugged it in to their 30 amp outlet. They said there was probably something wrong with my generator (3500 running 4000 watt peak). This initially made sense to me until I borrowed my father in laws generator ( 5500 watts running 6000 watts peak) and it still won't run the ac or microwave. Both generators are new and will run all the 110 lights, accessories etc. If anyone has expierienced something similar please let me know.

Do you have a transfer switch or do you plug your shore power cord into the generator?

That's strange.  If they work on shore power, then they should work when the same cord is plugged into the generator.  Hopefully, someone else will have an idea.

Have you checked the voltage in the trailer when plugged into the generator? The only thing I can think of is that your hook-up to the generators is deficient somehow and the voltage is too low for the high power appliances (microwave and a/c).

What 110v lights do you have in the trailer, most trailers have 12v DC lights.  Does your television(s) turn on or the display on the microwave light up?  Other than the A/Cs those are about the only 110v items you have.

I would check the voltage at an AC outlet with the Genset attached and running, you can plug in a lamp from your house.

Are you using an adaptor to connect the Genset to the trailers power cord or does the Genset have the proper recetacle?

It may be possible that the trailer has a wiring problem and is using ground rather than neutral as the return. You might try attaching the generator ground to a solid ground point on the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom