rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Macerating our way to happiness!  (Read 16611 times)

blueblood

• ---
    • Discovery
Re: Macerating our way to happiness!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2005, 05:36:19 PM »
Tom,

The web site for the Sani-Con is http://www.emptythetanks.com/.  Lots of information there about the different models.  Although one can buy a lot of sewer hoses for the $550 price, it does make up in convenience.

The web site pricing is manufacuteres list - not selling price. Monaco asked that they list it that way for obvious reasons ;D. The actual selling price if you call Sani-Con will be $399.95 or close to it.

Leo
Leo

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 05:39:21 PM »
Are you saying that if you use a 1" hose, the macerator will get hot if you  pump uphill and it will not get hot if you use a 5/8" hose under the same conditions?

No Wayne, apologies if I confused you. I happened to have a 5/8" hose laying around that was unusable as a regular hose because one end was damaged. I cut that end off and actually shortened the 50' hose to 35' and tried it. I was consciously watching/feeling the temperature of the pump because IIRC the instructions said it would get hot if used with a hose smaller than 3/4".
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2005, 05:43:56 PM »
Does it require water on the backflush while operating ?

Leo, I just found the instructions for my FloJet macerator. You're right - the fresh water connection is only used for flushing. I guess I had a brain fart. Apologies for confusion.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 11:10:04 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 06:00:13 PM »
No Wayne, apologies if I confused you. I happened to have a 5/8" hose laying around that was unusable as a regular hose because one end was damaged. I cut that end off and actually shortened the 50' hose to 35' and tried it. I was consciously watching/feeling the temperature of the pump because IIRC the instructions said it would get hot if used with a hose smaller than 3/4".

Tom

Ok, then my 1" hose should allow the macerater to run cooler than a 5/8" or 3/4" hose. I have five 25' rolls of 1" blue flat hose that I purchased from Tractor Supply. I have a 100' roll of 1 1/2" flat hose also.

Thanks

Wayne/FL
Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

blueblood

• ---
    • Discovery
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »
Tom

Ok, then my 1" hose should allow the macerater to run cooler than a 5/8" or 3/4" hose. I have five 25' rolls of 1" blue flat hose that I purchased from Tractor Supply. I have a 100' roll of 1 1/2" flat hose also.

Thanks

Wayne/FL

A point made to me by the owner of Sani-con is that one should check the female fitting on end of hose. If it is less than 3/4 inch then overheatiing can occur. The pump is a constant volume and thus any restriction will put back pressure on pump resultiing in heating. He says a number of 3/4 inch hoses have 1/2 or less in the female end.
Leo

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »
Blueblood, you are right about Sanicon's pricing.  He advertises a higher price than he actually sells for.  I got the full unit for the price you mentioned.  I think it pays to call them up rather than just order off the web.  He comes down in price without any discussion at all.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2005, 11:13:23 PM »
Wayne,

Re: flat hoses. You may want to check out this article on hoses. IMHO a flat hose would not be a good choice for a macerator application.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/learning/all-about-garden-hose.aspx

Here is the section about flat hoses. I would be particularly concerned with the sentences mentioning "completely extended" and "round out". May or may not be problems, but thought it worth a look. 

Flat Garden Hose
Flat Hose lies flat until water pressure rounds it into 5/8" hose. A prime feature is that flat hose stores more easily and more compactly than conventional hose.

Flat hose must be completely extended before water will pass through it and it must be completely drained before storing.

There are two types of flat hose. One is made of a polyurethane liner and a tightly woven polyester jacket. The higher quality product has the liner bonded to the jacket to reduce kinking and leaking.

The other type is similar to conventional, reinforced vinyl hose, yet is flat when empty and expands when water is added. It is not as small as the first type but has excellent wear resistance and is half the size of conventional hose.

Once rounded, flat hose performs exactly like ordinary hose, delivering the same amount of water as a regular 5/8" hose. Weight is about one-third that of conventional hose; but because it is self-draining (provided the nozzle or sprinkler end is left open), it retains less water than ordinary hose (which may hold as much as 6 lbs. of water in each 50' length).

It requires 20 psi to round out (home water pressure is 40-60 psi) and is able to withstand normal treatment. Because it drains itself, it is less susceptible to freezing and cracking.

Flat hose will return to flat shape after repeated uses, will not wear on edges, will not crack around fittings and has comparable burst strength to conventional hose.

Some flat hose is packed in a cassette that holds the hose, allows it to be pulled out for use and retracts for storage. The cassette can be hooked to the water source for use and hung in garage or basement for storage. A hose cassette is ordinarily used only for handling and storage. If the hose remains in the cassette during use, the pressure of the expanding hose could damage it.

Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2005, 08:21:11 AM »
There are two models of the Sani-com system with a $100 price difference - the original model 2104 version and the newer 5800 version. The main difference is in the hoses. Then there is the "Tank Buddy" portable system which is yet another $150 cheaper and perfect for those occasions when graveity-dump isn't practical.

RVUpgrades.com (www.rvupgrades.com) sells the Sanicom system at a nice discount - $499 for the #5800 and $399 for the #2104. For some reason RVUpgrade.com does not discount the $249 Tank Buddy.  And RV Sanicon attends many Rv shows and usually sells at the $499/$399 discount prices there.

A $249 Tank Buddy and an extra 25-50 feet of one inch hose is a nice accessory for anyone who dry camps. Doesn't take much room to store either.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »
Karl

The hose that I have is the smallest of the agriculture hoses and comes in an 8" diameter by 2" roll. No question that it would have to be fully extended to work. Once it is in use I don't think rounding out will be a problem. A friend has one of the fresh water flat hoses from CW and it works quite well, but has the problems mentioned in the article. I have a cheap Wal-Mart regular hose and it kinks badly at times.  I haven't tried the flat hose on the macerater yet because I haven't had a need. The newer MH requires a new power cable and rearrangement of the parts. It has a very low priority at the present lime. I still think it is the way to go until proven differently.

Thanks for the article.

Wayne/FL

Wayne,

Re: flat hoses. You may want to check out this article on hoses. IMHO a flat hose would not be a good choice for a macerator application.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/learning/all-about-garden-hose.aspx

Here is the section about flat hoses. I would be particularly concerned with the sentences mentioning "completely extended" and "round out". May or may not be problems, but thought it worth a look. 

Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2005, 08:39:49 PM »
One of the things I purchased on the day I picked up my DAMON was a "Sewage Pump" (Macerator pump) which is very much like you describe... I've used it... I did not know when I bought it it was 12vdc so did not have wireing installed for it.  However I did have a "Jump Start" battery (Commericial grade jump box, in fact It was not mine, I'd bought it true, but I was trying to make contact with it's owner, a Tow Truck Driver named Pete, so I could deliver it... It was, however, fully charged)

Hooked it up, Turned it on and away went the sewage.

Then the gray water

Then the other gray water

And now it's back in it's carry case

Oh, one other thing... My Damon is a "Bath and a half" type floor plan, The master bath is unaccessable when you are on the road (Slides in) as it's behind the bedroom and with the slides in you have to climb OVER the bed

(The "Half" is about "amidships" (right before the back axel))

The master toilet is a macerator... IT flushes to the front blackwater tank via a 12vdc pump  All automatic,  Push button, it flushes

As for power... Being WA8YXM I have a RIG RUNNER next to the driver's seat... It's a power strip, uses Andeson Power Poles

I have a 50 foot coil of heavy duty wire

The Power strip is just inside of a window that opens

I don't think I'll have a problem next time I need the pump

I have a 50 foot "Black water" hose (Ok, the hose really is a water hose, and it's really black)  The other water hoses are either green or white (potable hoses) but the "Black Water" hose, .... Is Black  Had to search some to find a black hose :-)

Worked very well
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:43:07 PM by John In Detroit »
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.