Reverse Battery Fuse & Furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelleykevink

Hi,
Last year, things worked great in our little tent trailer. This year, not so much!  :( We have a Forest River Flagstaff tent trailer.

We tried turning on the lights and furnace tonight. Nothing worked. We went and checked the fuses. There was one 20 Amp fuse in the negative line at the single battery. We replaced that. Yay. We had lights! Then we thought - might as well check all the other fuses inside the fuse box, before we leave. Only one fuse in the fuse box was toast - a 15Amp one called "Reverse Battery". We changed it, and instantly had no lights.  And still no furnace either. (Yes, the gas is on.)

Yes - we're RV morons, but we do need some help here. We've promised a 3 year old little boy the mountains tomorrow. Any ideas greatly appreciated everyone. Thanks in advance!!!!!
Shelley

Sounds like the positive and negative leads to the battery may be reversed. Did anyone disconnect and reconnect the battery over the winter?

A "Reverse Battery" fuse is usually to protect the battery charging system from reversed terminals on the battery. The charger and/or the battery can be damaged if the wires are not hooked to the proper terminal, so a fuse is added to protect it.

Understandable... You said there was a fuse in the NEGATIVE LINE of the battery

Fuses are almost always put in the POSITIVE line

You said you changed the REVERSE BATTERY fuse and everything went dark

That's cause the battery is in backwards and you re-blew the 20 amp fuse that should be in the positive line

In short.. The fuses worked as they are supposed to..

Test procedure  You will need a volt meter

Remove battery, replace both the 20 amp fuse and the reverse fuse again (it too will be toast)

Replace the battery with the volt meter.. Plug in and not the reading.. I'm betting the fuese line is positive.

Now unplug and replace the battery THE PROPER WAY

RV Roamer said:
Sounds like the positive and negative leads to the battery may be reversed. Did anyone disconnect and reconnect the battery over the winter?

A "Reverse Battery" fuse is usually to protect the battery charging system from reversed terminals on the battery. The charger and/or the battery can be damaged if the wires are not hooked to the proper terminal, so a fuse is added to protect it.

I kind of have an issue on my StarCraft 95 pop up where everything is works fine, but I have a fuse on my ground wire and the positive wire is connected to the frame. I checked the wire hook up inside the cover and positive is red which goes to the posiitive on the battery and the same with negative which is black. The wires have eyelet terminals and one is larger than the other so you cannot reverse them. Should I reverse the battery so that ground goes to the ground fame and positive to the fuse line?

See my post in your other thread

The Ground wire is, by defination, the wire that's hooked to the frame...

The other wire (Which it appears is the one with the fuse in it) is called the HOT wire

Note that ground can be either positive or negative,  Hot .. Is the other one.

I gather you are saying your battery is installed with positive grounded.  If so I would suggest you first post the make and model of your converter to this forum.. That way we can tell if it will work w/o a battery

Then check the reverse polarity fuses (if any) on the converter

IF blown (And I suspect they will be) disconnect the battery and tape off the HOT wire (or just pull the ground wire,,NOTE Ground, the wire to the frame,  NOT negative but GROUND) replace the reverse fuses and plug into AC

Use a volt meter at the battery connect from the HOT wire (The one with the fuse.. also check this fuse) and the GROUND wire  If the hot wire is positive  turn the battery around.

Back
Top Bottom