1982 Allegro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocky Rhodes

Hi.

I just bought a 30 foot gas powered class A 1982 Allegro in nice shape. I would appreciate hearing comments about these from current or previous owners. Please share your experiences and advice. This is my first RV. Thanks.

Rocky

Hi Rocky and welcome to RV Forum.
That was one of the most popular motorhomes of its era and many are still around. Tiffin built a good coach (and still does) and you can still get factory service for your 1982 at the Red Bay, AL factory. Don't be afraid to call Tiffin if you need help with it.

And of course we will be happy to try to answer any questions you may have as well.

Hi Rocky.  Welcome to the RV Forum and congratulations on your first coach and your first Tiffin. 

My first coach was a 1983 Tiffin Allegro 29 foot Class A.  It was a great coach and we had many great trips in it.  My second and current coach is a 1998 Tiffin Allegro 26 foot Class A.  When I'm ready for my third coach, I will most certainly look Tiffin again.  They are well made coaches and, as Gary said, are backed by Tiffin's well-known factory service. 

A couple of things to check out would be the tires, belts, hoses, batteries and any other things that deteriorate over time.  Make sure the tires are not older than 5-7 years even if they look good and have good tread.  Tires must be replaced at that age because they will fail due to age, not condition.  Check the date code on the tires to confirm how old they are.  Check in our library for how to read the date codes on the tires.  Also replace the belts and hoses if that has not been done.  I had to stop on my way to Florida once and replace a fan belt out on the road in the summer.  It was not fun. 

Both of my Allegro coaches were built on the Chevy P-30 chassis with a 454 engine.  That engine tends to crack exaust manifolds from the heat.  You can tell if it is cracked by hearing a ticking sound when the engine is ideling.  The P-30 chassis is also known for wearing out the bell cranks on the front suspension.  If yours are worn, it will wander pretty bad and you will have to fight the steering the whole time you are driving.  Those can be replaced with much better SuperSteer Bell Cranks from Henderson's at http://www.hendersonslineup.com/uncategorized/supersteer-bell-cranks/.  Also check the air bags that are inside the front coil springs.  The original equipment air bags were rubber and tend to crack with age and heat.  If they will not hold air, I would replace them.  It will keep the coach from "rolling" from side to side as bad and improve the ride as well.  I replaced mine myself for about $100. 

There are many experts here who know a lot more than I do that can, and will, help you with questions, problems and suggestions.  Good luck and happy trails.

Dan

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the on going discussions.

Congratulations on your Tiffin.

Dan gives excellent advice - I highly recommend the Henderson Supersteer bell crank if it is a P30 Chevy chassis (and it most likely is). Ditto for his suggestion about the front air bags, which are probably due for replacement if the former owner has not already done so. They are an oft neglected part of the suspension on this chassis and a critical component for safe and comfortable operation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom