Wireless Dongle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Recently I made an impulse buy...the price was right. Although I have no need presently to go wireless, I did succumb to a learning tool. Manufactured/sold by Creative I/O - USB2.0.

I bought an "IEEE 802.11g/b Wireless USB Adapter Dongle".

Without asking any technical questions right now, can someone give me a lesson/ advise on getting 'dongled'?  ;D

carson Fl

First, read the manual :)  In general, you will run the included software installer before plugging the device into the computer.  This installs the drivers.  If there is an option to install the drivers only, select that, otherwise it will also install some type of manager and those are generally more difficult to use than letting Windows manage your wireless connctions.

After installing the drivers, then you plug the adapter into a USB port.  Windows will then detect the new hardware and install it for you.  This may take a minute or two.

After that, it depends on whether you installed the manufacturers manager program or not.  The manual should tell you what to do next.  If not, come back here, report what you did, and we'll take it from there.

Of course, the adapter won't be of any use unless there is a usable wireless network within range.

Thanks Ned, will do. I have no idea if there is a network close by..guess I'll find out. As I said before it is a learning experience at this point. Need something to do during the hot, dog days of Summer. :)

One question: Is a dongle as effective as a built in wi-fi network? Also can I plug it into a USB extension cord for reception improvements by testing various locations within reach?

No rush, it's not an emergency.

carson FL

Carson,

If you are close to a place that has free wifi, like Panera Bread or some of the MacDonalds, you can check your dongle there. Setup and install the driver at home and then, if there is no wifi signal there, take it to one of the free wifi places to get it to connect.

The USB adapter will generally work better than the built in one, and you can use a USB extension to better place it if necessary.  Go ahead and install it, I'll bet you see at least a half dozen networks if you're in the city.

If you don't already have it, consider installing a wireless router in your home if you have broadband internet. That way you can use the laptop anywhere in the house when you are home. I did this some time ago and now I use my laptop more than the home desktop computer. I can watch TV and surf the internet at the same time.

The short of it..

You install the driver (if required)

You plug in the "Dongle"

You follow the provider's instructions for first time connection

It works (or not depending on the strength of the cellular or Wi-Fi (Dpeending on the dongle) signal

I use a "Dongle" adapter(Lynksis) on my older Toshiba laptop which does not have a built in WI FI adapter. It is the second adapter I have had.  First had a card. which i broke when I dropped the laptop on the card slot side. The only problem I have is the dongle" adapter will not stay in.  I solved the problem by using a 1 ft USB cord which hangs down.  Looks stranger but works fine. I have a wireless network set up at home. I love to read my E mail on the patio in the AM  with my coffee. Needless to say I am retired.
Tony

One thing I did find interesting.  My ISP Cox, has aq service called re4mote access where for a fee, $5.95 for 5b hr you can ger 800 dial up the the same accdount as broad band.  I have used it when we are gone for extended periods.  Recently we were on the road for a little over 3 weeks , Yellowstonw, Tetons and Rocky Mt Ntl Park.  All of the parkes we stayed at with the exception of Yellowstone has Wi Fi service.  NBot always good but I never used the Dial Up. In Yellowstone had no TV or Phone access but who cares.

Tony

Ned,

The USB adapter will generally work better than the built in one, and you can use a USB extension to better place it if necessary.  Go ahead and install it, I'll bet you see at least a half dozen networks if you're in the city.

I installed it, easy as pie, but it won't do me much good here at the home PC.

It picked up one signal, my next door neighbor. :)  and I don't want of fiddle with that.
  I live in a somewhat rural area, the closest city is 7 miles away. Just perfect.

At least I know how to do it now; the next step is to get a portable PC, some day.

Thanks for your help.

carson FL

Carson, at least you know it works, or appears to work :)

Back
Top Bottom