12v Electrical Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadgetboy

Hi all, newbie here on the forums, hopefully you can give me a hand.

My Grandma was just about to head out for vacation when we found out we had electrical problems.

1996 Chevy Tioga 24'

The 12v lights at the back (including other 12v such as gas detector) don't work until the ignition is turn to "run".

Obviously this is a problem for dry camping! Any ideas as to what I could try? It worked fine just a few days ago when it was parked in front of the house!

MTIA!

Joel

It sounds like you may have a battery disconnect switch turned off or, more likely, your Axillary battery has gone dead while you were parked. 
With the ignition key "on" you could be powering the coach 12v circuits from the chassis battery.  Chances are the alternator will begin re-charging the house batteries when you fire up the engine. 

Either check the charge in the aux/house battery and correct, or run the engine a while to see if it charges.  Of course, if this proves anything, you still need to figure out why the battery went dead before you send grandma packing :D :D :D

Great thanks!

The RV does not have a battery disconnect switch for some reason. When I put a battery charger on it, it didn't even recognize the battery was there so I'm thinking the battery is toast. Can't tell when it was put it b/c of the grime all over the battery (I'll have to pull it out) but it's a MotoMaster marine battery so it's obviously not original.

I'll try running it for awhile and see if it changes anything.

Thx.

Strange. I started it and the back started working all of a sudden! I started it multiple times before and nothing. Crazy thing is, it even started off the "dead" battery (with Auxiliary start) the very first time I went out there after my last post thinking the battery was done for.

Thanks so much!

I'm a little confused now.  In your first post you stated that you got no 12v to the rear unless the ignition was on.  Now you say you are surprised because it works when the ignition is on (engine started) ???

If you are really saying that everything is now working then I suspect you have a relay battery isolator rather than electronic(diode) type and flipping switches (i.e. Aux Start) has cleaned the contacts and completed the circuit.

BTW - your engine start battery is still in the circuit when you press the aux start switch so don't arbitrarily give the house battery credit for starting the engine.  It may still be dead or dying.

Back
Top Bottom