INSURING TRAILER STORED IN FLORIDA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uel

We are considering leaving our trailer in storage in Florida after this winter. Our Canadian insurance company states they will not insure any trailer or RV once it is left behind in the US. Can anyone share details of storage costs [preferably covered] and also what insurance companies charge in  hurricane-prone Florida.
Thanks

I would think any US RV insurer would quickly give you a quote rather than having us guess. Google RV Insurance and pick a few to get some quotes. I would not expect trailer insurance to be very expensive.

I've never priced inside storage since we keep our rig in our yard, but my guess that could be rather pricey. If you are concerned about hurricane risk, the north central part of the state has the lowest risk of either hurricanes or tornados.

How did this work out uel? 

I looked for an alternative insurance provider this spring after last year's steep TX premium increases.  I tried GEICO for a quote but found that they would not provide ANY cover unless the vehicles were in secured storage (in AZ in our case)  Luckily my present provider National Interstate did not have any such restrictions.

I've also been told that it's not legal to leave a US registered vehicle in storage in Canada.  Any comments?

macmac
Haven't received any quotes on RV storage or US insurance coverage in FLA.
As for the storage of a foreign registered vehicle in Canada or USA, there is a provision [USA] that any vehicle left for OVER a year must be "exported" to that country and state. This would, I'm sure, include substantial taxes being paid; safety checks, and red tape. I may well reconsider my options.

uel said:
macmac
Haven't received any quotes on RV storage or US insurance coverage in FLA.
As for the storage of a foreign registered vehicle in Canada or USA, there is a provision [USA] that any vehicle left for OVER a year must be "exported" to that country and state. This would, I'm sure, include substantial taxes being paid; safety checks, and red tape. I may well reconsider my options.

Ah I see - a misunderstanding by my contact who told me about this.  Thanks for the clarification. 

We left our rig in December and January last winter parked in the storage area of a campground fairly close to Orlando airport ready for flying home and our return.  That campground had been badly hit by winds a couple of years back - think it happened in summer so not much RV damage but park models got hit by smashed trees.  Thankfully there was nothing worse than rain while we were parked there.

Keith

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom