Gray water dumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minitrips

Hello, just bought first rv. A small pop-up. Only have a 10 gal fresh water tank and kitchen sink. I have a fitting on the outside to hook a hose to run out the drain water from the sink. Being a newbie, I am wondering what is the best thing to do. I have seen portable storage tanks that you roll to the dump station, but I do not even know how the dump station operates. Am I going to have to lift that big tank up or is there a hole in the ground? Hate sounding so dumb but I didn't want to buy some tank that I can't lift if I need to. The dealer I bought the RV from said to just run a hose into a 5 gallon bucket. Is that acceptable? Thanks

The bucket will work, but you probably want a cover.  The blue tanks with wheels would work better.  You don't need to lift, just pull to the dump station.  The hole is in the ground.  There is usually a hose to rinse as well. 

I would use a short 4" hose (dia) connected to the blue tank, and long enough to reach the dump hole, Then lift at handle to drain.  At least that is the way I think I have seen that done.  Never had the blue tank.

Some parks allow grey water to drain out, in that situation, a long hose over the the drain area would be sufficient. 

The small amount from a sink wouldn't be much of an issue, however a class A draining a grey tank would be offensive.

Well.... There is a hole in the bottom of it all.

ur, There's a hole in the ground.

My first suggestion is to watch and observe others using the dump station

If you get one of the popular blue waste totes, I beileve there is an optional "Dump Kit" Consists of a short length of 3" hose with the needed female connector..  The blue tank has two fittings on it, one is a standard 3/4 inch Garden Hose (I think male) and the other is a 3" standard RV-Sewer hose

The larger tanks (any over 10 gallons) have either an optional "Towing kit" (Looks a bit ilke a 2-tine fork with a loop handle, the fork goes through the handle of the tank, the tines over the top and the loop over your ball -hitch ball) or a bulit in tow hook.  I modified a 15 gallon tow kit form my 10 gallon tank.

You can then tow it over to the dump.  Hook up the 3" hose, shove the other end of the 3" hose down the hole.. Lift the handle end and.. The hose comes out of the hole and makes a mel of a hess..

Or perhaps it won't.. I suggest doing something to "Encourage" it to remain in the hole

Thanks for the info fellas. I was having pretty nasty visions of me trying to dump waste water that weighs more than I do. Feel much better now, thanks.

Some campgrounds have dump sinks for gray water.  They are really very large janitor sinks and also have a faucet for rinsing out your container.  With a small popup you probably will tight on space.  I have seen many such units using the collapsible 5 gallon water jugs for gray water.  When collapsed and folded up for traveling it would take up very little space.

I don't know how much wastewater you would be generating, but, I have a Barker blue tote (25 gallon) which has a T-handle as well as a loop to put over your tow vehicle's hitch ball and the tote is wheeled.  It's pretty easy to tote to the dump station (pretty much a hole in the ground) and pour contents into the hole - - I have a 3" diameter sewer hose that I cut short for this purpose. 

Most dumpstations have a water spigot (not potable) for rinsing/clean up of your tote or the dump station.

The 5-gallon buckets at say Home Depot/Lowes (empty paint buckets with lids - and screw cap) are also good for greywater collection.  If you do not already have the adaptor that screws on your trailer and you can screw on a garden hose - a dealership or Camping World has them - you can then screw on a garden hose, cut it to drain into your bucket and you are set!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom