Replace Flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stppinz

If you had/wanted to replace the flooring in your MH, what would you do? Carpet, Pergo ... any thing else? It there usually a wood sub floor or is it metal?

Thanks again. You guys rock!

We replaced our carpet (living room) and engineered wood (galley) with a laminate flooring last fall and are glad we did.  The sub floor is usually just plywood or chipboard.

We plan on replacing the bedroom carpeting with more laminate this fall.

We plan on replacing the bedroom carpeting with more laminate this fall.

Sasha will never make it to bedroom on all four.

We replaced our carpet with tile pattern (Laminate Pergo). DW loves it says it is so much easier to keep clean. Installed it myself. It is a floating floor.  Not hard, but in such a confined space was a lot of cutting.
Wood grain would be easier since you do not have to match pattern.
tony

There are a variety of 'laminates' on the market, not just those with a wood plank appearance and are installed in much the same way (loose-lay / floating) as 'Pergo' - which, after all,  is just a brand name.  Some look just like tile when laid.  Basically anything sold at DIY or flooring stores can be installed; ceramic tile,  vinyl, carpet, laminates and engineered wood plank.  Vinyl, either sheet or tile,  is probably the most durable and easy to maintain but laminates (Pergo style) are a close second.  It's really just a matter of personal taste and choice.  If you are interested in a wood floor appearance, check out those made from bamboo.  Very durable, reasonably priced and installed like any other laminate.

BT

Tom said:
Sasha will never make it to bedroom on all four.

We're going to put runners down, that floor can be cold in the morning (as well as Sasha unfriendly) :)

We (actually my wife) put down peel-n-stick tiles last year, throughout the kitchen/bathroom leading back to the bedroom.  It was dirt-cheap and modernized the look quite a bit.

tswms said:
We replaced our carpet with tile pattern (Laminate Pergo). DW loves it says it is so much easier to keep clean. Installed it myself. It is a floating floor.  Not hard, but in such a confined space was a lot of cutting.
Wood grain would be easier since you do not have to match pattern.
tony

Can you tell me what you did to make the floor 'float'? I'm replacing carpet with hardwood/pergo and some form of tile.  That's my winter job!  ;D

scottydl said:
We (actually my wife) put down peel-n-stick tiles last year, throughout the kitchen/bathroom leading back to the bedroom.  It was dirt-cheap and modernized the look quite a bit.

Did you trim your around the toilet or put down a new seal on the it?  Got any pics? I'm doing the same thing this winter so all the help I can get would be appreciated.  How'd you seal around the edges?  ???

What did you do with the slides that have carpet on them, did you leave them as is? While we're remodeling has anyone replaced their buffet with a separate table and chairs not worried about storage and the options would be so much greater.

Gary

Has anyone seen or know of a laminated product out there that is installed as a floating system and that has real wood surface. I have looked at Lowe's, HD, etc, and everything I see including Pergo, is a "film" type surface. Looks like wood but on close scrunity, it is like a vinyl coating or film.

clarkgriswold said:
Did you trim your around the toilet or put down a new seal on the it?  Got any pics? I'm doing the same thing this winter so all the help I can get would be appreciated.  How'd you seal around the edges?  ???

We didn't apply any extra "seal" around the seams or edges.  I know there are products that can be used for that though.  My wife cut the peel-n-stick tiles as needed (they are pretty flexible but still easy to trim), laid them out to check how everything would fit BEFORE exposing the adhesive backing, and after that stuck them in place one at a time.  If you really want to get technical, you could remove any base trim you have along the floor - then put the floor down and reinstall the trim on top of it.  But if you're going to all that trouble, there's probably a nicer floor material you could use instead.  ;)  Peel-n-stick is a quick and cheap way to improve the look IMO.

I just replaced all the flooring in my Ellipse. I used trafficmaster allure. I pulled all the trim, carpet and tile from the RV, including the slides. I also pulled the comode. Prep took about 2/3Rd's of the time. I replaced the area over the rear engine and the slides with carpet. We could not come up with a good way to treat the tile edges of the slides. We thought we would chip the tile edges on the slides. So we re-carpeted the slides. We may revisit this in the near future in the dining area. We had to remove the couches. I reused the original trim. This was a first for me so it took a lot of time, I would guess about 80-100 hrs. We used an upscale carpet and had a lot of waste. Cost for project was about $800. I'd do it again in a minute, DW was very happy with the outcome. It turned out to be a fun project. In my next life I'll learn to upload pics!!

John

I'm about ready to get back to it again.  I used the tile look laminate, to much matching, so made waste.  I have 3 more sections to put in, lots of cutting on those.  It's documented on the renovation thread.  So far I'm in 5 boxes at $70 each so around $350 for a 27 foot class C.  Also I put the vapor barrier I'm sure I didn't need under it but figured it wouldn't hurt.  About $35 I think.  I bought an edge for between the cab and the home area as it slopes there and set it slightly into the home.  Bought new carpet for the front, hubby is removing the seats to put it in.  About $250 for carpet and dash cover there from Rock Auto.

I'm using paintable sealant around the front of the tub, and areas curved where I can't fit quarterround.  Then I'm getting paint tinted close as I can to cover the caulk.  They didn't have any in the flooring area to match or in the sealants either.  I didn't want to make it to tight against the tub, afraid it would crack the fiberglass, but wanted to keep the water out of it. We are doing it all ourselves.

^^ As a price comparison, our peel-n-stick replacement flooring cost me around $45 TOTAL on clearance IIRC.  That was for our Class A's kitchen, hallway, and bathroom.  Granted I'm SURE that our floor is nowhere near as nice as PatrioticStabilist's will be when it is finished.  But it just goes to show that you can spend as little or as much as you want depending on your budget and the desired end result.

If you get tired of what Lowes and Home Depot have to offer, check out Lumber Liquidators. You can check out all their material online. I just installed some bamboo and they have all the transition pieces in stock which really dresses up the job.

QUOTE:  "me around $45 TOTAL on clearance IIRC."

That would be my price range, but I'm curious tho, what does " IIRC" stamd for?

I certainly did not plan on spending that much.  However, I bought the tile look and not thinking about the pattern matching that far apart I had to buy an extra box.  There is a very pretty one we used in our den that is a random pattern with no matching that would have been more economical and I wish I had used it.  The reason I didn't is I wanted this lighter color.  Since the home is so small I thought this would make it look larger and I think it does give that illusion.  But I think this "tile" is much more durable then the regular laminate, at least it seems so.

The only reason I didn't use stick on and I have before in other places, was concern of whether they would stick good to the flooring, but sounds like they do since others use them in this type of setting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom