Lake Mead Hoover Dam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

A friend took us out on his boat in Lake Mead to see Hoover Dam from the water and, by "the luck of the draw," we got a very special picture.

Of the four attached photos #1 is approaching the dam, #2 is a close up showing the state of completion for the new highway that will bypass the dam (because of 911 in the future you will not drive over the dam), #3 shows a small cove high up on the mountain to the right of the dam and almost a mile away, and #4 shows what I discovered only after loading the photos into my PC.

What a kick!

JerryF

Attachments

• Lake Mead-1.JPG
    Lake Mead-1.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Lake Mead-2.JPG
    Lake Mead-2.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Lake Mead-3.JPG
    Lake Mead-3.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Lake Mead-4.JPG
    Lake Mead-4.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 81
How close did you get to the dam before the gun boats came out? :)

One nice thing about that new highway is the road over the dam is not for the faint of heart if you are driving an RV.  Twisting and narrow ( Wife and her friend were... A bit up tight.. Strangly acrophobic me had no problem, thankfully I was driving)

The new bridge will be wide and straight.

Ned,

No boats came out but on a landside visit to the dam the guards pointed out this (see photo).  It is left over from WWII but they said immediately after 911 it was re manned with a 50 for awhile.

BTW, it's very hard to see but after I did, my trusty FZ30 535 mm telephoto took this photo.  It's right there if you can find it!

Jerry

Attachments

• P6062000.JPG
    P6062000.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 72
I guess it was for defense against Japanese submarines  ::)

Great photos Jerry.  Thanks for sharing.  Quite a photographer to have the ability to arrange for the sheem in the arch. ;D

We also saw seven burros near the water's edge at one point.  But what was funny about the sheep was that we'd been looking for some the whole trip and never saw a one.  But I spotted that arch so Jerry took a picture of it.  Imagine his surprise when he saw a bighorn framed by the arch!  Fun!

Ned, the pictures were taken right at the floaters that are the outermost edge of where boaters can go.

John, that new bridge may be straight - I don't know about wide yet - but it will be VERY high and I'm not too keen on high bridges.  I drive 'em, but I don't like 'em!

By the way, in the first picture the top of the white at water's edge is the high water mark level.  Note how far the lake has dropped because of the drought.

ArdraF

Ron, yeah, I'll bet she is.  Just like me.  ;)

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom