Shower Head Shutoff Doesn't Work Completely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raceman3

The shower head in my RV has a shutoff switch on it I'm guessing so you can save water while soaping up and keep the water temperature consistant.  When I engage the switch it still drips quite heavily thereby defeating the purpose it was designed for.  Long story short, I went to the local RV dealer to get a replacement and he informed me they all do that?  I guess I could hit Lowes and get a replacement that actually turns the water off completely but I'm kind of curious if this guy was right and if so what's the reasoning begind it ??? ???

No, they don't all do that. Mine doesn't. You can replace that head cheaply at a plumbing supply house or just an ordinary hardware store or homecenter. When you are dry camping or even just in a campground but wanting to save your grey tank a shutoff is imperative.

Woody

Supposedly the slow drip is to keep the temperature constant, but in practice that rarely works.  Yes, all RV shower heads are like that.  You can replace it with a residential one if it really bothers you.

You are the first person I've heard about complaining about a drip.. Mine does that too

most of the folks complain about a blast of either hot or cold when you turn it back on.

I'd rather have the drip.. it goes from 1.5GPM (or there abouts) to 1.5 PPM (Pints) that's a clear savings.

The reason the valve does not shut the water off completely ias as Ned said.  All RV showers do that and it does cut water usage way down to use that feature.  You can get valves in harware stores tha will shut the water completely off but I don't recommend it.

I believe you will find that new residential shower heads do the same thing - it is an OSHA requirement now. The idea is to prevent being scalded by a blast of ultra hot water, which can easily happen if the water is completely turned off at the shower head.  You can , however, add an inline valve that will fully shut it off. Most hardware stores and home centers have them - they just screw in between the head and the hose or wall fixture.

It would be a good requirement if it actually worked :)  In practice, you either get very cold or very hot water when you turn the shower head on again.  I haven't seen one that really worked properly in an RV.

raceman3 said:
The shower head in my RV has a shutoff switch on it I'm guessing so you can save water while soaping up and keep the water temperature consistant.  When I engage the switch it still drips quite heavily thereby defeating the purpose it was designed for.  Long story short, I went to the local RV dealer to get a replacement and he informed me they all do that?  I guess I could hit Lowes and get a replacement that actually turns the water off completely but I'm kind of curious if this guy was right and if so what's the reasoning begind it ??? ???

I found a shower head that shuts off completly at Orangewood RV in Surprise, AZ.

Phil

I have the same results as Ned meaning the water does not retain the temperature it usually comes out cold and then re-adjusts.  Think I'll go to Lowes

The biggest water saver on our MH is on the bathroom sink (see photos).  When you turn on the water it will not flow until you push the plastic rod to the side and when you remove your hands the water stops immediately.  It especially saves water when washing your hands or brushing your "toofs!"

JerryF

Attachments

• Water Sav-1.JPG
    Water Sav-1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Water Sav-2.JPG
    Water Sav-2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 15
We also have one, it's called the WaterSaver 2000.

I took a showerhead apart a few years ago - all it takes is a little sandpaper to smooth down the bumps on the shutoff valve, then it will shut off completely.

Jerry and Ardra showed us their water saver many years ago and we have used it ever since. People are always telling us our faucet is leaking but it is only the rod that they see. We bought ours at Camping World, but not all stores carry it. I have seen it at a vendor at FMCA convention and he was selling them 2/$10, but I haven't seen him in quite a while.

I bought a couple of them, but was told by the Captain to remove them  :(

After several people here said that all of them were designed to leak to keep the water warm I looked at mine again today and it doesn't leak. It is the type that can be left in the clip on the wall or held in the hand. The spigot leaks just a little dribble of water but not much. Of course the water does run cold for a second when the head is opened back up.

Woody

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom