from 5 north to 101, is 20 or 299 best route?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anet

Next week we are travelling from San Diego to Trinidad in Northern  California, we have a 32 foot motorhome.  We will be taking 5 north and then want to cut across to 101..........Can anyone tell me which is better 299 or 20? Also can anyone reccomend a campground for 1 night on the way up, close to I5, maybe Flag City or Riverpoint Landing in the Stockton area?  Anyone stayed at either one or have another option?  I am new to RV forum so any advise will be much appreciated
thanks
Annette

Flag City and Riverpoint both have plenty of room for your coach. Flag City is closer to I-5 and is nice and more of the formal campground style, whereas Riverpoint is essentially a line of RVs on gravel, but you'd be overlooking the San Joaquin River. I haven't stayed at Riverpoint, but have walked through it a number of times.

I don't recall driving 299, so i can't help there. It's also been too many years since I drove 20.

Ok thanks....I think Flag city will be the best choice since it's closest to I5.  Hopefully someone else will have advise on the route.
Annette

We took 20 eastbound last summer and wouldn't hesitate to drive it again. Our coach is 42' long plus toad, but does have a 400hp diesel engine. There were a few uphill pulls and twisty sections, but I can't remember anything to hold you breath. Haven't driven 299 so can't comment on that, but 20 is a lot shorter.

Unless you have something you really want to see on I-5 I would cut over a lot nearer the Bay Area.  The drive north from there on US-101 is quite pleasant, very scenic, and the highway is good.   The roads thru the mountains behind Trinidad can be ... shall I say....interesting.  See the relevant pages in Mountain Directory and see if you would like them.  (Do get a copy, Camping World carries it.) 

My usual route is to cut over at I-80 and take the San Rafeal Bridge over to 101.  But then I do not mind driving a trailer in urban freeway traffic, I live in LA.  You might substitute CA-37 at Vallejo. Maybe one of our Bay-Areans would like to comment on CA-37.  [Tom?]

Following on from Carl's suggestion, here's 3 options:

• Hwy 152 from I-5 near Los Banos to Hwy 101
  • Hwy 580 from I-5 near Tracy will eventually get you to the Richmond/San Rafael bridge.
  • Hwy 12 from I-5 at Lodi, I-80 to Hwy 37 to Hwy 101. This option allows you to stay at Flag City, which is at the intersection of I-5 and Hwy 12.

Personally, I'd avoid the lower Bay Area and stay on I-5 to Lodi. OTOH if you take the Hwy 152 option, there's a campground at San Luis reservoir on Hwy 152. I haven't stayed there, but one of our forum members has made several reports of his stays there.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I'm so glad to have found RV forum!!!
I have another question about the route. Tom you said you would avoid the lower bay area....is that because of traffic?  We would be travelling early Sunday morning so hopefully traffic would be quiet?  Or is there another reason you would avoid it? We are thinking maybe Hwy 12 to I80, then Hwy 37 to 101, and as you said we would still be able stay at Flagcity which is right by Hwy 12.  Also there doesn't seem to be many RV parks near the I580, looks like Santa Nella would be the option there.
thanks again

.... you said you would avoid the lower bay area....is that because of traffic?  We would be travelling early Sunday morning so hopefully traffic would be quiet?

Yes, I was thinking about traffic. Sunday morning should be OK.

Also there doesn't seem to be many RV parks near the I580, looks like Santa Nella would be the option there.

The Santa Nella I'm thinking of is near the intersection of I-5 and hwy 152. There is an RV park there and another at nearby San Luis reservoir.

There are a couple of RV parks near I-580 after the Richmond/San Rafael bridge. I haven't been to them, but one that gets high marks is Novato RV Park near the intersection of Hwy 101 and Hwy 37.

Anet
I would consider an overnighter well before Stockton and options are limited taking 5 north.    I have travelled from S.D. to S.F. on numerous occasions and have always been happy to take a break on the north side of Grapevine.  I usually take 99 north (Vs 5) there a lot more campgrounds to chose from en route.  I have stayed at a newer one in Bakersfield, close to the freeway which was very clean and reasonably priced (under $40) with a nice restaurant on site.  It's directly across from Stiers RV. 

On cutting over to 101, consider 152 (either from the 99 or 5) with an stop at Casa de Fruta Travel Park  (408) 842 9316  on the Gilroy side of Pacheco Pass and east of The San Luis Rey Reservoir .  However, that puts you on 101 south of the Bay area and SF traffic, IMO, is not good at the best of times.  I think I would take I-80 east from 5 at Sacramento, then  12 (north) toward Flag City, or Choice #3 as Tom suggested.

If you do take  5 north , there is the Lost Hills KOA at 5 and SR 46 (661) 797 2719 or the San Luis Rey RV Resort, 3 miles west of I-5 at SR 152 at Los Banos/Santa Nella (Pea Soup Anderson's)  (209) 826 5542, I haven't stayed at either so I can make any recommendations other than their convenience and proximity.

BT

Buddy,

That campground in Bakersfield near Steirs you are referring to is the "Bakersfield RV" and yes, it is very very nice.  We use it often.  When we were there, upon checkin, they gave you a coupon for free appetizers.  Don't know if they are still doing that.  They also have a very nice selection of Microbrew beer....and the campground is satellite friendly...and very very nice facilities ie laundry and pool.

We travel that I 5 or 99 route often and we stop at a KOA on Highway 4 near Lodi.  It's between I 5 and the 99.  Not much traffic.  I try anything to avoid the big cities, having lived north of San Diego and at one time close to LA.

Marsha~

Hi,
There is a really nice little county park off I-5 near Stockston called Dos Reis accessed from the Lathrope off ramp. As we live in Petaluma on 101, we often go over to I5 when heading south or coming home. The fastest route coming north is to take 580 to 680 to 80 to 37 and over to 101, or you can stay on 580 to the Richmond bridge and over to 101 but this latter route can give you gray hair!! . You'll have to deal with less traffic by taking 12 to 80 to 37 and across.It's a little longer but much better on the nerves.

Have a good trip,
Lee

Lee,

I didn't know about Dos Reis Park, although I must have passed that off ramp a million times. I'll get it added to our file of RV parks on the California Delta.

That file also has some other options if Annette decides to take Hwy 12.

Marsha

Yes, that's the one.  I don't know if they are still giving out coupons for appetizers in the restaurant.  The last time I was there, earlier in the year, they did, but I seem to recall it just being a promotional thing for resort opening and was due to end.  And, the appetizers were only if you ordered a meal.  We didn't, just a swim and beverage and over to Camping World before they closed.  I'm looking at the 'coupon' (business card) as I type.  It's the Crest Bar and Grill at Bakersfield RV Resort (661) 833 9998.  I also lived near LA (La Canada) for a number of years, where were you before Bonsall?

leethehund...the 12/80/37 route to 101 north of the Bay  is a pleasant drive, and, as you say, a lot less nerve-wracking.  I am also unfamiliar with Dos Reis Park - sounds interesting and convenient.

BT

Thanks to all who have offered advise.......... I so appreciate it. 
We have now settled on 12 to 80 to 37, and will stay at Flag City.  I think this will be the best route since we will be driving in convoy with our friends (this will be their maiden voyage in a 36ft class A).  From what you have all said I think it will be a less scarey route for them being new to this. I cannot wait to get on the road again......yipee!!!!
thanks again
Annette :-*

Enjoy the trip, and please let us know how it goes. Don't forget to wave to the guys at San Quentin as you cross the Richmond/San Rafael bridge

Tom, They won't see the SR bridge or Q on that route.

Annette: One slight refinement: you can cut off about six miles by taking the Lakeville Highway turnoff on 37 which will take you into 116 and onto 80 in Petaluma. That's our usual route. Have fun. :)

Lee

HFWPOH, you're right of course Lee, my error. I was thinking of the earlier mention of taking the bridge.

If you have some extra time (or need a break), stop in at the Western Railway Museum on Highway 12 halfway between Rio Vista and Fairfield and take a ride on one of their historic trolley cars.

(Shameless plug - I volunteer there whenever I'm in California). 

And/or tour the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfield.  It's just south of Hwy 12 a couple of miles east of I-80.  The factory is on the left side of Hwy 12 as you're heading west.  Take the Chadbourne Rd. off-ramp and follow the signs.

Back
Top Bottom