Technobabble about sine waves and inverters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone tried aligning an IF strip without test equipment?
You could use a second, operational radio with the same IF freq and tune for a minimum beat frequency. A couple diodes, cap's, resistors, and a headset should do the trick. Of course a grid dip meter is better/quicker. and a 'scope is better still.

Here is a bit of useful useless information in the babble category.  :D

Lots of harmonics in them there square waves.

A perfect square wave has an infinite number of even harmonics.

A perfect triangular wave has an infinite number off odd harmonics. Anything in between is a mixture.

A perfect sine wave has only the fundamental frequency.

And of course one must remember that 1 Joule = 107 Ergs.

And the reciprocal of 0.707 of the RMS (Root Mean Square) calculation is 1.414 .

How can anyone live without that knowledge?  ::)  ;D

You'all have a nice day now....

carson FL

Thanks, Carson, my day is complete.

A perfect square wave has an infinite number of even harmonics.

A perfect triangular wave has an infinite number off odd harmonics. Anything in between is a mixture.

I believe you have these reversed - the square wave is made of odd harmonics...

.... and a 'scope is better still.

Couldn't afford a 'scope at that time Karl, but the eyes and ears usually worked well.

On the occasions Chris lets me drive the boat, I sync the engines while running by listening to the beat (aka delta) sound. Occasionally I'll look at either the analog or digital tachs, but my ears come close enough. A wet finger works for wind direction too, although we usually look at a neighbor's flag before sterning into the berth; If the flag is limp, it's a good indication there's little or no wind.

Square and triangle waves are both composed of mainly odd harmonics, though the triangle wave's energy falls off faster at the higher harmonics.

Sawtooth waves contain both even and odd harmonics.

Hi Jon, any bets on that?  ;)

Like a square wave, the triangle wave contains only odd harmonics. However, the higher harmonics roll off much faster than in a square wave

The above is from WIKIpedia as well as I remember it in my soggy mind from years ago.

Oh well, I am still going to have a good day.  :)

carson

Lou was almost correct, both triangle and square waves contain only odd harmonics.  Sawtooth waves contain only integer harmonics.

Well I guess we are all a little bit right. (and a little bit wrong)  :)

Looks like that square waves and triangle waves are created by odd harmonics only.

The sawtooth wave is created by even and odd harmonics. See this link here

And here is yet another sawtooth link

Just think I have gone thru life not knowing that.  ;D

carson FL

PS. I love this topic "Technobabble"

The audio link on that page makes my ears hurt  :(

Carson, that's what Lou and I said.  My sources were also WikiPedia.   I didn't post the links as I figured anyone still reading this topic had more than enough time on their hands to do the research themselves :)

Thus ends the lesson for today.

Back
Top Bottom