Are you a lurker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A lurker is someone who lurks, i.e. someone who visits our forum and reads, but never posts anything. Maybe you're here to learn by soaking up the extensive content in our forum discussions and our library, or maybe you're just too shy to post. Maybe you're embararssed to ask a question you think others might consider a "dumb question".

There are no dumb questions here, only the occasional dumb answer. Every one of our forum members and staff started RVing with little or no knowledge or experience. So, pease don't be concerned about asking questions; We'll do our best to answer them or find a source for the answer.

Asking questions and receiving answers adds to our knowledgebase for others in the future. They can search our message boards or our forum library and find solutions to questions we all asked at one time.

Many of our forum members have developed close relationships with other members, which often started by folks striking up a conversion here in the forum &/or by attending a forum rally and meeting people in person.

Maybe you're an experienced RVer who has a lot of knowledge and experience that you can share. We'd love to hear from you and see you participate in discussions, helping out the newbies and others who have questions.

It's OK to be a lurker, but we'd sure like to see you join in some of the discussions or start one of your own.

Tom, I tried to post a reply to your post about being a lurker, but didn't find that option. So, I have chosen to go this route.

I probably am considered a lurker as I read a lot more than I post. This is because I do not feel qualified to try and answer some of the posts. If I have experienced the same thing as the poster or have some info to share, I will post. Otherwise I just read and try to learn.

I personally think you do a great job and sure do hope that all of you continue.

Just tried to preview this post and it will not work.

Jerry

Hi Jerry. I originally locked my post, intending it to be merely an "announcement". But, after reading your message, I unlocked it and merged your message as a reply.

Appreciate your comments, and understand your "lurker" perspective.

Lurkers, you've just got to dive into these posts and start talking.  ;)  These are "discussion" forums and not just questions asked that only get answered by the most qualified.  Many times you'll learn things just by engaging in a thread and getting some back-and-forth conversation going.  The more you USE the forum (that's reading AND posting), the more comfortable, educated, and helpful you'll become to everyone here.  It's a community, and everyone here wants you to be a part of it.  :)

Jerrygroah said:
Tom, I tried to post a reply to your post about being a lurker, but didn't find that option. So, I have chosen to go this route.

I probably am considered a lurker as I read a lot more than I post. This is because I do not feel qualified to try and answer some of the posts. If I have experienced the same thing as the poster or have some info to share, I will post. Otherwise I just read and try to learn.

I personally think you do a great job and sure do hope that all of you continue.

Just tried to preview this post and it will not work.

Jerry

Jerry, your name and avatar shows you have 91 posts.  That aint lurkin', that's workin'.   ;D

Indeed Jerry and other lurkers you don't have to be so shy, you have far more knowledge about these things than I do. Heck, my last holiday in a 'van (travel trailer to you folks) was back in the late '70s, and we towed the van down to my Mum's house about 2 or 3 hours away from where we lived. The holiday in a van before that was probably when we lived in one in '58 or 59.

Yet I am like the old song, I jump in where Angels fear to tread ROFL

Don't hold back thinking you don't have much to contribute, you are here, you have all had unique experiences and life has taught you unique skills. Share your thoughts on anything and everything, you never need hold back in here amongst friends like these nice folks.

We also have those who prefer to ask their questions privately - I get emails regularly from RV Forum members who are perhaps are uncomfortable with a public question or maybe feel they are wasting other people's time with their "dumb questions".  I don't mind the emails, but I really do feel that everybody is better served with questions asked and answered in the forum rather than privately. Rare is the time when someone else does not have a similar question and can learn from the answers. After all, if we don't give answers publicly, there is nothing for the lurkers to watch!

That's right. As a person relatively new to the RV scene these past couple of years, I have found any number of times that someone has posted a question that they said they thought was dumb, and I had the same question and was interested in the answers. No dumb questions here.

Like many in this forum (I suspect), I started out as a lurker. 

When I bought my Class A, I had to find answers to questions not found in the skimpy paperwork that passed for a manual in this coach.  I found the answers here, in this forum.

And while I felt some of my questions required simple answers that I could not discern on my own, if I didn't ask I would forever be seeking the information I needed, either that or I would be attempting to work on a project that would likely cost me $$$ because I simply didn't know any better.

Again, my thanks to all who have helped me here, and I will return the favor by passing on what I can from my own archive of knowledge (very little of which was RV related until a short while ago). 

Steve 

Luca1369 said:
I will return the favor by passing on what I can from my own archive of knowledge (very little of which was RV related until a short while ago). 

Hey we have plenty of off-topic conversations here, and even the non-RV-related knowledge is more than helpful in many cases!  ;)

I feel like a lurker some times.  Mostly, I post questions and generally get pretty good answers.  Having recognized that i might be a lurker (prior to hearing the term lurker) I have often considered the need to take a more active roll, but find that Tom, Ned, and some of the "old salts" have provided great responses and there is little to add.

You guys keep it up and I will continue to try to find a place to fit. 

And, THANKS for doing such a great job. 

Asking the questions is at least as important as answering them. There might be a bunch of other folks out there with the same question, looking for a post with the answer, and if no one asks, then no one answers and valuable information never gets posted.

Wendy

I read everyday. Answer when I can and have knowledge and just plain comment when the mood strikes.

I am a moderator/staff member on another website.  The largest fishing site in the Northwest.  19,000 members and we pride ourselves as being a family friendly website.  I am impressed with this RV Forums website as I would feel comfortable with my grand children reading over my shoulder.  Vulgar stuff is just not found here. 

My thanks to the owener and the crew for good work.  Job well done my friends.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

We're fortunate to have a mature and civilized membership, many of whom have been around for years. Rarely have we had to ban anyone for vulgarity, but it has happened, usually before anyone else notices. We had one really unfortunate incident a couple of years ago that impacted a large number of folks, but we've since put in place a number of security measures that should prevent it happening again.

I have to confess that I tend to lurk a lot more than I post.  But in real life, I tend to listen more than talk too - we all have different styles.  And I am reluctant to ask a question without first looking/searching for other posts on the topic....  I don't want to waste the time, energy and goodwill of the people on this forum whose comments I value and enjoy.  When I don't find answers already posted, though, I'll definitely ask away. :)

There's nothing wrong with lurking and researching. Just be sure to let us know if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom