Frig died, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My neighbor just bought a used pop-up for around $2000.

His frig died the first time he took it out.

What is the most cost effective way to handle that situation?  How much does a new one cost?

He can't imagine shelling out another $1k to fix a $2k trailer...

find out what died.  There are several ways for fridges to go bad,  Could be a bad control circuit board.  Could be a bad pilot.

If it is something expensive, you can consider replacing it with a used one.  I see fridges for popups on Craigslist and eBay all the time.

Popup refrigerators tend to be small and cheap anyway.  Can get a new 2 cu ft refrigerator for $500-600, possibly better if you really shop around.

Alternatively, buy one of those 12V refrigerator coolers they sell at Walmart and Sporting goods stores.  Those are under $100

A lot of folks use what I call Dorm Room refrigerators.  Depending on where you camp (mostly with hookups?) that could be a good alternative.

When I had a popup I used an ice chest.

Joel

The most cost effective.. RIP IT OUT (Well remove it carefully) and if he parks at parks where he can plug in hop on down to Sears or Best Buy and pick up a small "Dorm" or "Office" fridge.. This is what I did, loved that little thing.

The best would be replacement of the cooling unit.

However: before you do that,  Just exactly how did it die?  I mean, the #1 cause of "Dead Fridge" syndrome is nothing more than lack of routine maintenance and a proper PM run cleaning the burner and flue and such is all that's needed to restore propane operation.. ON electric it may be as simple as replacing a fuse or the electric heat element, Assuming it's that kind of fridge

This is all easy stuff.

Get your neighbor to join RV Forum and describe his fridge problem/symptoms - maybe we can help. It may not be so dead as to need replacement (several hundred dollars). And if not, we can suggest some alternatives, depending on his needs and budget.

If he can get by with an electric only model, one of those office/dorm fridges is a good choice.

Gotta ask - was the refrigerator a 3-way fridge?  Was he using in on propane or electric?  Was the back of the unit heating?

It takes several hours for an absorbtion refrigerator to cool (depending upon ambient temperature and items being loaded in the unit - should be pre-cooled).

If the back of the unit was giving off heat, chances are the interior was cooling.  There will be no noise with an absorbtion unit as it does not have a compressor.

You can get more information at www.dometicusa.com on the various rv refrigerators.

It's been a busy summer and he new to RV/popup ownership, so I will definitely get him signed up.

On a another note, does anyone know of a good web site that describes how an absorbtion frig works or can explain it themselves?  I have an engineering degree and a buddy of mine has a EE degree, but neither of us are clear on how the technology works. 

I am just really curious!

Or you could try http://www.wildtangentventures.com/library/RV%20refrigerator%20service%20and%20diagnosis.pdf

Has anyone on this forum heard of taking the refer out and turning it upside down?

Years ago, I had a cousin, who was a master mechanic, and that was one of the tricks that he used, and It worked!

So I am not sure what the mechanism that caused it? but perhaps an orfice of some sort got unplugged?

I would like to know more about that process?

Thanks,

Ordoc

Turning the frdige upside down sometimes worked on older fridges but supposedly is a less useful technique on newer ones.

An absorption fridge works by boiling and then condensing ammonia and it relies on gravity to bring the condensed liquid back down to the bottom to continue the cycle. If a bubble forms or some crud blocks the return flow, burping it by turning it upside down may help. Newer designs have pretty much eliminated the source of such problems, however, so a failed fridge is usually not fixable by such means. Can't hurt to try, but don't get your hopes up too high. And if you smell ammonia or rotten eggs in the fridge or see a yellow residue anywhere, don't bother with the burp approach. You have a cooling unit leak and burping isn't going to do anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom