What good is a Ham radio anyway???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to ask the same question after I got my license.  I always justified it with the same old "when everything else fails" line hams kept feeding me, but it was never convincing enough to stop the questioning.  It just seemed like an antiquated form of communication.

In 2005, Katrina hit my home.  We lost power, water, cable, landline phones, and cellphones.  Most of the Broadcast radio stations had their towers knocked down and several of the TV stations as well.  Communication stopped completely.

It took the military 3 days to set up a communications network sufficient to run minimal operations around the coast, but before the winds had even settled the hams were already on the air.  We had operators stationed at every shelter relaying the needs such as water, ice and insulin.  Operators at emergency dispatches helped organize the local law enforcement.  Operators at Emergency Shelters like Salvation Army and Red Cross helped coordinate rescue efforts.  Perhaps most importantly, we had operators all over the world who helped us make phone communications, relay safety concerns and support needs who helped get the word out to the rest of the world.

Ham radio really did keep south Mississippi running after the storm.  Our "chaotic" operation style is perfectly suited for the kind of massive disaster that demolishes organized infrastructure in a way that no other form of communication has yet to match.  If it weren't for the everyday operators and hobbyists, then ham radio would have likely died out in the recent easy years and many more lives would have been lost to the storm.  Ham radio may seem to be a pointless hobby to many, but it really does come to form when it does become the last line of communication available.

I haven't used my rig in a while, so I'm not sure if there are any RV Nets, though I'd be willing to bet that there are, maybe someone here could fill us in on that one. 

Nets are controlled interactive transmissions between the hosting "net controller" (or controllers) and other hams who may be spread out over several large areas.  In the sailing world there are numerous nets covering a large part of every ocean on the face of the planet.

For me, the effort and expense of getting a license and buying a rig was all worth it when a net helped me while sailing in the Bahamas one year.  I was a good day and a half from the nearest community with a real doctor, and had a strong allergic reaction to an antibiotic.  I checked in on the morning ham net and chatted with a doctor who told me how to take care of my problem. 

Now this may not appear much to those of us not sailing in the Bahamas, but there are some of us boondocking in out-of-the-way places and if a quick response is needed, ham radio might be a Godsend (but then again, here we have marvelous devices called "cell-phones").

Steve

Thanks for that, Steve. Boondocking is one reason I got into ham radio. I'd love to find an RVing net or two. I need to work on assembling a good, small, portable rig that will get through when LOS is insufficient. (And did I mention, inexpensive....)

Pierat said:
Got my technician license! Now, to learn what all that information Really means....

Well that's great.. Now all you need to do is get on the air, upgrade, get on more air, upgrade again and.. Well, there are now only two upgrades you can do.. I did 'em 2 years ago :)

Edited to correct typing erroorrs

The question of RV nets came up, but I am not sure if it was ever answered. Indeed there are several Ham Radio nets devoted to the RV'er. One that covers the western states is the Pacific RV Service Net at 9:00-10:00 AM Pacific Time weekdays at 7.268.5 mHz. They have 2 rallies each year, that are attended by many participants.
A fascinating ham event  happens each year at Quartzsite, Arizona, in late January during the RV Show which draws 1,000's of RV'ers, and a large number of Hams.
Ham radio is a wonderful addition to the RV experience!

Ned and Carson have it right.  Ham Radio is in the genes.  If you need it explained, most likely a different pursuit will suity you more.  I was saddened when the morse code requirement was eliminated.

Smoky - W3PY

To me, it's pretty useless. About 15 years ago I learned code and took the test to be a "Tech". I also took the General test and passed, but did not take the code part. Well, a few years ago I got a notice telling me that I've been upgraded to "Tech Plus". Okay, fine and dandy. Then I found out you could get your General without the code test. So naturally I wanted to get my General license. I don't really remember what happended, but I couldn't get my General. Then I got a letter telling me I was being downgraded to a "Tech". Well, guess what? I got tired of all the BS so I just didn't renew my license. Never used it; pretty much forgot all that I learned, but I kind of wish I would have kept it up. Oh well...

I have had my ham license for almost 20 years. The thrill of talking to someone my radio to his is still with me.  And I have never done it in an RV but i will be soon.  i remember one time i was talking to a guy in Russia while driving my kids to a soccer game. How cool is that??
Being on the road you can get bored quickly but listening to and talking to other hams is a lot of fun.

I got my "nervous novice" license in 1954 or 1955 (can't remember for sure).  My Jr. High shop teacher was a HAM and he got several of us interested.  My call sign was KN0GSS.  But, in those days we didn't have a pot to pee in and I was unable to get or even build my own rig (it took more than $1 even back then).  I managed to get on the air only a few times using some friends rigs.  But, my interest soon morphed to girls and what money I could scratch up went elsewhere.  If I recall, the Novice license was only good for a year then you had to get a General.  I didn't bother.  Sometimes I think about wadding in again, but I still have too many other irons in the fire.  Oh well...

Ham radio is like any other pasttime.  Golf, tennis, fly fishing etc, it is for some, not fo others.  Not for others to decide for you.  I am not active right now, but itching to get back on the air, just need to save for a rig and antenna.  Have friends back in RI with my requests and budget. 

Mobile DX is a kick, many EU contacts over my years HF mobile.

Yes, novice back then was 1 year up or out.  My first license was 1964, I went out after a year, then went back about 15 years later, been licensed ever since.

wpflum said:
Ok, let me start out by saying I've had my ham license for 4 or 5 years now but I've never used it.  ???

Some background, for a while growing up I wanted to get my ham license, even bought an old Heath Kit receiver and got at least one confirmed station from Brazil or some other South American country.  I just never could learn code or more precisely, I never took the time to learn code. 

When I found out they dropped the code requirement a few years ago I decided, just as an experience, to take the test to see if I could pass. 

Well I did and got my license but I never had a real desire to cruise the airwaves so I just filed it under 'Things I've always wanted to do as a kid and now I have as an adult but never want to do it again'  meaning I was happy I finally had the license but I never really wanted to use it.

Now that I'm getting into RVing again, we had a class A when I was a kid, I've seen ham radio mentioned a few times in the forum so I'm asking, in all seriousness, what good is it??

Is it just mainly for the fun of chatting with people or is there a more useful aspect that would give me a reason to dust off the license and get a mobile rig.

Not that I'm putting down the chatting aspect but that's just not me  ;)

If I do decide to get a rig what should I go with as a basic system??

So many things so little money  ::

Bill

Oh you can always talk about the weather like most do on their really expensive rigs thats all I ever heard. So I decided I didnt need ham radio. Yea I know they do a lot of good in broadcasting disasters but so do the tv networks. But if ham radio rings your bell then by all means go fer it.
Edit: Fixed quote.

Another thing about Ham Radio.. It is so varied it's amazing. You can talk to others on many modes, AM-FM-SSB, D-Star and at least one other digital mode.

You can TYPE to each other RTTY, PSK-31, Olivia, MFSK, and again a host of others.

You can send PICTURES to each other.. I have two different software packages that do that using different formats.

You can share Data.

you Can work Sattellite,  Repeaters,  IRLP/Echo-Link, and more

How about standing in Las Vegas with a low power hand held chatting with a ham in Austrulia, half away round the World.. Done that. (IRLP)

Typing to a ham in Spain with only 30 watts power.. Done that too.

>>Now that I'm getting into RVing again, we had a class A when I was a kid, I've seen ham radio mentioned a few times in the forum so I'm asking, in all seriousness, what good is it??<<

Yes, there are fun aspects of the hobby but there is the serious side too.  Here we support the Search and Rescue people with auxiliary communications - we can communicate where the Law Enforcement and S&R radios do not work because we have additional knowledge and more versatile radios.  We provide supplemental weather information to the NOAA weather people in Billings or Great falls - Hams do this a lot in the mid west and east during tornado seasons.  Some of us provide emergency communications in the case of disasters, think Andrew, Katrina, the recent tornado's in the south and east.  There are groups of Hams that provide specialized emergency communication inside and between Hospitals during phone outages, earthquakes and other mass casualty incidents.  Check this URL for such group, the Hospital Disaster Support Communication system in Orange County CA
http://www.hdscs.org/]http://www.hdscs.org/] http://www.hdscs.org/

On June 5, I will be part of a group of Hams that will provide emergency communications on a Marathon where no other communication service will work.  There are several other functions locally that will require the same type of support because of the terrain and distances, bike rides, iron man, etc.

The Rose Parade on New Years is supported by Hams for both parade coordination and emergencies, think people watching collapsing etc.  Next New Years, watch for people in white suits with radios in their hands although with the new radios it is harder to spot as they fit in pockets etc. 

There is a lot more to Ham radio that just talking about the weather, what radio you have or what new gadget you bought or made, there is real service too.

Very well said Jim.

There are groups of Hams that provide specialized emergency communication inside and between Hospitals during phone outages, earthquakes and other mass casualty incidents.  Check this URL for such group, the Hospital Disaster Support Communication system in Orange County CA
  http://www.hdscs.org/]http://www.hdscs.org/] http://www.hdscs.org/

I am a former member of the HDSCS group in Orange County. My core hospital was Childrens Hospital of Orange County, where my wife works. I enjoyed my service to the group very much. I would like to say that being a ham operator is more than just talking endlessly about nothing, as Jim said we perform a service. We are not just radio guys, we make up the "Amateur Radio Service". We serve our country through our knowledge of communication equipment and our skill to communicate.

Become a ham operator, its not that hard. See web site below

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

73s

Jay T
K6ruv

Jay,

I don't recognize your call as I left the HDSCS in the spring of 2000.  I responded to Either Los Alamitos or Westminster Pulmonary care.  Moved to MT in 2000 and am pretty much out of things we are gone so much of the time in normal years.  Kind of stuck here for a few more months as I work through a back problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom