what rig for fulltiming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AARONKOEHN

hi,we are a young family of 4,2 boys 4 and 6.i am a nurse and needing to pay off some bills,the travel nursing thing pays very well. we are seasoned recreational campers with a 1987 30 ft 5th wheel.i have a 3/4 ton gmc gasser and don't want to buy a new truck,just a trailer.not sure if we shoud go TT or 5er.i would like to have the back of my p/u to haul stuff with us but not sure if the TT would be roomy enough. i'm sure i will get different opinions but all would be appreciated,thanks aaron

If it were me and I was looking at full time, I wolud stay with the 5'er since you have a lot more room for "stuff".

Look carefully at the storage space. Usually fifth wheels have much more than travel trailers because of the space under the tall front end, but there may be exceptions I don't know about. As far as the interior, a travel trailer should be a bit more roomy than a fifth wheel and you are more likely to find a floor plan with bedroom and bath space for your kids.

I think you will need a different truck, i.e. a 3/4 ton diesel.  A family of 4 needs some room and you aren't going to pull a large trailer with a gas truck. Nor will you like the fuel economy of the gas truck when towing. I realize that you won't be towing every day, but it may be every month or so.

Listen to Gary, Don't skimp on either the living quarters or the tow rig, even with our 40 footer wife and I have to practice gettin along,kids coould drive one nutty in tight quarters. A new style 4 door short box diesel is a perfect tow'er  when coupled with the proper 5'er hitch to prevent damage in tight turns. Good Luck in your work, you can get work any where at any medical facility. We are with a Surgeon from Fl. in Taos who gave up on Fl. with the high mal practice costs and is much happier at Wiemer Hosp..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom