rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: which microwave oven works best  (Read 1952 times)

leisurepaw

which microwave oven works best
« on: July 22, 2005, 08:11:07 AM »
I would like to know which microwave oven works best on inverted power I have 3 12 volt deep cycle batterys and 195 watts of solar power my inverter is an xantrex 1500 watts continuos and 3000 watts surge I would prefer not to start the gen to heat a cup of water or make pop corn thanks

Jackliz

• ---
Re: which microwave oven works best
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »
Howdy, Leisurepaw.
I have used a GE Spacemaker and a Sharp on a 2000 watt inverter without any problem. I can't remember how long I did run the microwave on the inverter but I was cautious. I reheated some frozen spaghetti sauce and I think that it took 10 minutes.

Regards,
Liz
Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce and Oreo the Escape Cat
Fulltiming in a 1993 Wanderlodge WB 40 ft
Dhanis, TX - Winter
Buena Vista, CO - Summer

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 04:40:59 PM »
Hi Leisurepaw,

We have owned nothing but Sharp and have run them a lot on the inverter. Not long periods of time at once but many shorter intervals. Never have had a problem.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:43:24 AM »
Your biggest potential problem is the three batteries.  Most microwaves draw at least 1000 watts, meaning a continuous load of around 90+ amps from the batteries.  Even a few minutes at 90A will drop the voltage severely and may trigger the low voltage shut-off on the inverter.  New batteries will probably handle it, but aged or abused batteries may not.

For your purposes, a smaller (lower power) microwave is better.  Or increase your battery bank to four batteries, which spreads the load better.

An electric coffee pot is a much easier load to handle than a microwave, but that won't pop your corn for you.  :D
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

leisurepaw

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 03:12:26 PM »
Thanks for your help I think my microwave is to big it is a 1350 watt GE which is on the edge of my inverters contrinous  rating of 1500. my batterys are new and my cables are short and bigger then needed I will be looking at smaller micro's thanks again leisurepaw.