Thats it for me and Thousand Trails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave Stringham

Tehachapi Calif or probably lost somewhere
My friend and I (each with our own coach) were going to take the offer from Thousand Trails and spend 4 days and 3 nights at the Soledad Canyon site.  We called and made our reservations and got confirmation numbers.  My friends wife is physically handicapped and unable to 'take the tour" without extreme pain.  It would take her probably a week to recover from having to ride in a sit up seat or golf cart type vehicle.  THis was all explained to the phone rep in the beginning.  Thousand trails just phone my friend back and told him if the wife doesnt take the tour, they would not be allowed to participate in the offer.  We have both cancelled our reservations for that weekend.

Her not taking the tour would have nothing to do with a contractual obligation.  If my friend and his wife decided to purchase a membership, her signature on a piece of paper has nothing to do with riding around and looking at things.

In todays p/c environment, I think this is one of the most rude, non people orientated positions to take that I have ever experienced.  Thats it for me and thousand trails.

I'm dumbfounded Dave. Someone at TT (or their agent, if they used one in this situation) needs their head examined.

Thanks for the clarification Dave. Sounds like park management need someone whispering in their ear, and maybe it should TT doing the whispering. It's really inexcusable to insist on it in this situation.

Nope, this is TT all the way.  The park is part of TT and the salesmen are there to do one thing...sell.  I was going to do one of those things here on Lake Conroe, and I told them my wife and I were "separated".  They didn't need to know this was only a temporary thing while I was moving to Houston, and that she would be joining me after my son graduated.  Anyway, they said "separated" was not good enough.  I either had to be divorced, or show them something saying the separation was permanent.  All I showed them was the license plate on the rear of my truck as I drove away.  We had already attended one anyway and refused, we didn't need this one.  We were there for the weekend.  Anyway, just say no to TT!

Well, I suspect the sales jerk at that park never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

And I'd love to see him educated.. To the tune of a free membership at the very least.

By the way, I'm currently posting from a TT park using their Verizon 2-way sat alleged internet service

We have never really been impressed with TT or any other membership campground. In the case you mentioned they were way off base IMHO.

Without defending this policy, let me say that it is a common one in the membership sales world, whether campground or timeshares. Also that it is not the TT park management but the park sales team, which is entirely separate from the actual park management. And those sales people are a indeed bunch of jerks, in my experience. There  doesn't seem to be anyone on those sales teams who can waive policy, regardless of whether doing so would make a sale rather than lose one.

In my opinion you did right to walk out on them.

It's not just TT that requires both H/W on a married couple to attend.  It is stupid that they say no when one of the party can not for a medical reason.  We are TT members and must say most of the sales folks we have seen are sales folks that go from sales job to sales jobs.  Most of the folks working at the parks are rv folks. 
We were refused a deal once not TT but for discounted tickets at Branson, had to take a tour on timeshare condo, well one of us got really sick the night before and they would not reschedule or let one of us take the tour.  Also while there another person was refused due to his wife not coming with him. 
Would say write TT but not sure it would do any good!

I will say again the Americans with Disibilities act requires they make REASONABLE accommodation for the disabled.

Since the OPs wife is unable to sit in a golf cart for any period of time this is a medical condition that seriously limits her liftstyle, thus a disability under the act. 

What could be more reasonable than to let the HUSBAND take the tour and then sign up for the wife.. I mean it would require that the park basically do nothing other than what they would normally do, in fact it would cost them LESS (Less fuel/electricity for the go-cart) than if they both toured.

I say call up Dewy, Cheatum & Howe and file against the sales jerk

Were I to be a sales person for TT.. I'd offer my Digital camcorder to the husband  and then burn the tape to DVD for 'em so she can take a virtual tour.. In fact. I'd likely burn a copy for myself (With their permission of course)

I did, just offer my local manager my services by the way

Actually Dave was lucky.  A park that brings in a pack of sleezeballs to sell its memberships has said an awful lot about its own attitude and ethics.  Those attitudes and ethics are not going to work for you after they have you legally on the hook for your membership after you have signed the papers and your check has cleared. 

In a word, RUN!  Before signing up for ANY of the memberships check them out very carefully.  The various forums and RVing magazines are full of horror stories that you can use to avoid bad situations.  Once you buy into many of these memberships there is no way to get out, including serious debilitating illnesses.  Read the fine print very carefully before signing on any of their dotted lines.  Just my opinion....

And a question.  If your wife has so much difficulty getting around, would she even be able to enjoy such a place?  And, do they have handicapped sites that would be easier for her to use?  Again, many questions to have answered before signing anything.

ArdraF

Actually Thousand Trails membership does not commit you to never ending payments.  You don't actually own a lot or anything else - just rights to use their 57+ parks as long as you make your annual subscription payment.  If you fail to pay your annual dues, you lose your rights to use the facilities but are not going to be sued or anything. Of course, your original membership fee is forfeit (though you could re-instate it later if you wished, for a reasonable fee). The only thing I see wrong with buying a TT membership direct from them is that the price is far to high for what you get. Re-sales, however, are widely available and at 20-35% of what a new membership costs (which gives you an idea of the real value of what they sell).

I do not recommend that anybody rush into membership camping, but it can work for some people.  I know at least two fulltimers who have no problem working within the TT rules/system and feel they save substantially with it. Since they have to camp some place every day of the year, logging 50 or so nights a year in a TT park is a breeze for them. And they take full advantage of RPI as well (TT members can join RPI too).

I am a TT member and have been for several years.  I've had my share of arguments with them, but we do use our membership.  We F/T and spend around 250-300 nights in system.  But I understand what others are saying about them.  We found we have to know our contract and sometimes make them know it as well.  If I were doing it again, I would definitely find a resale and save a lot of money.

I am disabled and use a service dog.  She is a 10 lb minischnauzer so she doesn't fit most folks idea of service dog.  TT doesn't allow pets in the buildings, store, pool area, etc.  I usually have to educate the management at each location.

I've also had run-ins with other companies about my disabilities and service dog.  We are members of Pre-Paid Legal ( a membership that gives me unlimited access to attorneys without additional charges).  They have sent several letters on my behalf resulting in refunds and apologies.

The Department of Justice has jurisdiction on ADA.  You can file a complaint with them.  Here's the link http://www.ada.gov/enforce.htm#anchor218282  I hope you will consider following up.  The best way to make changes is to hit them with government / attorney letters and in the pocketbook.

I just got a call from TT asking if I would like to re-schedule........I asked the girl if the left hand ever talked to the right and if she knew why we cancelled......when I told her why, she said she would have her supervisor call..........I am now holding my breath  ;D

Dave  I think you should download a copy of the Act we have been talking about, read it, and kindly ask TT to provide a full national membership (The deluxe version) for free in exchange for NOT filing a complaint.

John In Detroit said:
Dave  I think you should download a copy of the Act we have been talking about, read it, and kindly ask TT to provide a full national membership (The deluxe version) for free in exchange for NOT filing a complaint.

My friend is now talking to the DOJ and doing a little investigative work to see where this might go.

Back
Top Bottom