080808 - let the games begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Tune in to your favorite channel and watch the official opening of the Olympic Games this evening. Should be quite a show.

Hi Tom

The Ceremony itself was pretty impressive.

It will be good to see what London do in 2012 (probably a half-dozen sparklers and a few flags). Actually, I hope it will be a half-dozen sparklers and a few flags as it will save us all a huge waste of our cash.

Won't be watching the Olympics - not until the drug cheats are banned for life and we can see the athletes' true performances.

Paul

Paul,

I hope someone does some ROI calculations on 2012. The cost of hosting the games just keeps escalating as the bar continues to rise. OTOH nobody will notice or complain about 50p additional tax on a litre of diesel to help pay for it all ;)

Oh, they have already told us all how "we" will benefit from London hosting the games in 2012.

The hotels (and bars, shops, restaurants, tours, etc etc) in and around London (and the few other venues) will up their prices - that will do wonders to impress the tourists, who already face some of the highest hotel prices in the World.

That will surely have them all rushing back.

The one great thing about us hosting the Games in 2012 is that our construction industry is REALLY struggling at the moment, which means the organisers will be able to drive the costs down andl come in under budget as all these firms are fighting for any business going ............ oops, there goes that flying pig again.

This just about sums it up - see HERE

Paul

Tim and I watched the opening ceremony and were dully impressed.  What got us the most was the use of people rather than machines to orchestrate the program; especially the "square" thingies that went up and down.  We were sure it was mechanized; or at the least computerized.

However, everytime fireworks went off, I thought how much it was going to add to the poor air quality conditions.  The NBC hosts kept going over and over how China wanted to promote a "new image" of itself.  But actions speek louder than words.

One statement really blew my mind at the end when all the participants from China entered the arena and the host announced that China holds 1/5 of the world's population.  I had forgotten that little fact of information.

Marsha~

I agree Marsha, it was mind boggling when those moving blocks stood up and waved at the end of the routine.

As for population, I've said for a long time that we'd better start taking lessons in Mandarin.

Marsha/CA said:
Tim and I watched the opening ceremony and were dully impressed.  What got us the most was the use of people rather than machines to orchestrate the program; especially the "square" thingies that went up and down.  We were sure it was mechanized; or at the least computerized.

We had it figured out!  ::)  In a way it reminded us of Chinese dragons in festivals!  Thinking of it that way, we were delighted to see them boxes open up and the people wave.

Mike,

You're way smarter than me.

I hope London does well with the Olympics. However, I've always been proud of Colorado for saying "no thanks" when we could have had the Olympics in 1972. Citizens decided they just didn't want the extra taxes and the extra hassles (we saved that for building a new Broncos stadium). Of course, I enjoy watching the Olympics on TV when they're "somewhere else."

Don't forget that while China has 1/5 of the world's population, they also have a big chunk of land - #3 or #4 in size (depending on who you believe).

Wendy
Cortez CO

Marsha/CA said:
...One statement really blew my mind at the end when all the participants from China entered the arena and the host announced that China holds 1/5 of the world's population.  I had forgotten that little fact of information...

Interesting.  Thirty years ago, China had 1/4 of the world's population and India had 1/5 of the world's population. 

Another interesting tidbit:  the entire population of the world could stand on the land area within the city limits of Jacksonville, Florida.

KodiakRV said:
Another interesting tidbit:  the entire population of the world could stand within the city limits of Jacksonville, Florida.

Interesting. It would be a bit crowded wouldn't it :)

wendycoke said:
Interesting. It would be a bit crowded wouldn't it :)

It gives each person a 3-foot by 13-inch space.

Or about 22 inches by 21 inches.  Roughly shoulder-to-shoulder with a foot between front-to-back.

I'm enjoying watching the Olympics, I always do. But baseball and softball are going away but synchronized diving is in? (Don't slam me, it's beautiful and technical and a lot of work but so is baseball.) And, hey, what about bowling....why isn't that an Olympic sport? And could someone explain to me why an American coaches the Russians and a Chinese coaches the Americans...?

Back to watching the diving........
Wendy

Back on topic a little....

Anyone know if they intend to re-run the opening ceremonies or where one could get a CD?

Try here ... probably doesn't include the whole opening ceremonies but for sure will include the highlights.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom