Cub 160 towing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roerinaci

We are looking at  the cub 160 total unloaded weight with options is 3003lbs. Our question is
we have a Honda Pilot 07 4wd any input on how this vehicle will tow. ??? ::)

Forget the empty weight figure since it is very likely to be wrong anyway and besides how many folks tow an empty trailer around.  Use ONLY the GVWR when figuring weight limits.

That Cub 160 has a gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) of 3500 lbs.  The tow ratings for your Honda are a bit confused.  For the 2008 Honda claims 4500, but you have to switch to premium fuel when towing over 3500 lbs.

Discount those ratings by our usual recommendation of 10% and you should be fine with 2008 specs being able to handle a trailer with a GVWR of  4050 lbs.  If you would tow out in the mountain or Pacific west make that discount 20% and the max trailer GVWR would be 3600 lbs.  Again still ok.

Do check those tow ratings in your owners manual to make sure that your 2007 has ratings like the 2008.

You might also figure on burning the expensive stuff while in tow.

Hi Carl Thanks for the info,You are right we have also have gotten confusing info from Honda.
Interesting that Honda says you  can pull up to 4500lbs boat without weight distribution bars but all
other trailers 3500lbs with no mention of weight distribution bars. But after market say class 3
3500lbs hitch with weight distribution can pull up to 4500 and tongue weight of 450lbs for
07 Honda 4wd. According to Cub Placement Decal in cabinet unit delivery weight with options
is 3006 lbs,we're thinking about 500 lbs provisions with all tanks dry,of course. When we purchase,
we will put on scale to confirm weights. We're thinking on the safe side to install weight distribution
bars (do you think anti sway bar should be considered being unit has single axle?? Again thank you
for all your info and any other recommendations.

Regards -----  Roe & Ed :D

The reason you "can" tow a 4500 lb boat without weight distribution bars is that generally you must tow boats without WD bars.   Boat trailers use surge brakes that depend on the trailer moving forward against the hitch ball  -- WD bars block that.   To compensate, boat trailers have very light hitch weights and supposedly their low profile makes them less sensitive to lateral forces (ie yaw/sway).  That said, I used to tow a 2 Ton ocean going deep Vee hull 20 footer with an E350 Ford Window van.   Highway instability was a real pita, so I had a genius engineering type at Garges Trailers in Inglewood, CA install sliding sleeves on my trailer's A-frame and weld my bar chain lifts to the sleeves.  That worked for me, but I have never seen the set up elsewhere.

Absolutely yes to WD bars and anti-sway provision.   Go for a Class IV receiver and ball mount.   In your set up, with its relatively light TW, I would give consideration to the Equal-i-zer hitch system.

Back
Top Bottom