light duty trucks towing 5'ers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty444

Have alot of you been noticing F-150s and the like towing medium sized fifth wheels?  I can count about 5 that I have seen so far this year.  I am not sure I have even seen a 1500 series truck with a fifth wheel hitch installed before this year. 

Actually they used to be quite common, back when trailers were lighter. We had one and even towed a light fifth wheel with a GMC Sonoma for a year (but that was stretching the Sonoma beyond its true capabilities).

Now RV manufacturers are advertising "lite' trailers, claiming they can be towed by lighter duty vehicles, but you still don't find many that are within the capabilities of a half ton with a mid-size gas engine. Customer expectations for features and comfort have driven weights up so much that even "lite" trailers often weigh 7500 lbs or more (GVWR, not dry weight).

Actually it seems that the passion for slide-outs has driven a lot of the weighing up in so-called lightweights.  A sort of Gresham's Law has taken place.  What was lightweight is now an ultra-lightweight.  Eventually, I assume, they will become micro-ultra-lightweights.  ::)

What they really are is trailers with GVWRs under 5,500 lbs.  (And no slideouts.)

I've got an F-150 I tow a Maxlite 5th wheel with. It does just fine. Last winter I check the mileage 5 times going to Fla. and it was either 10.6 or 10.7 each time. That is going 63-64 mph. Much faster and the mileage drops off fast, it'll go as fast as you want to go though. It's about 800 lbs below the tow rating of the truck. What Carl say's about the slides is very true.
Also in the case of Ford the F-150 comes in so many variations you need to be careful what your looking at. They have tow rating's all the way to 11,000 on F-150's. A good example is when you go from 17" to 18" wheels you lose 500 lbs tow capacity. A person needs to read Ford's towing guide pretty close as the sales people don't seem to know the details.

I wonder if Ron's right !!!!

rbell said:
Also in the case of Ford the F-150 comes in so many variations you need to be careful what your looking at. They have tow rating's all the way to 11,000 on F-150's. .

That must be the 8.3 TD with the 5.94 rear end and 13 inch wheels.  Pulls anything but you don't go over 38 mph. 

I wonder if Ron's right !!!!

It happened a couple of times last year.  8) 

I realize that some of the truck commercials seen on TV might say their trucks can pull anything tied on behind it.  What is not mentioned is whether it can pull the load legally, safely, and without damaging the truck.

Carl that F-150 with the 11,000 lb tow rating is a 5.4 gas engine. It's got a 4.10, heavy duty payload package,4x2, reg cab, etc. I sorta think it's an F-250 in disguise so they can advertise the highest tow rating for a 1/2 ton. It's the fine print in the ratings again. 

I wouldn't be worried about whether a half ton could tow the fiver or not, most will....I'd be worried about whether it could STOP it or not....particularly if the trailer brakes failed.  We love to camp in Cloudcroft NM....and the road from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft is 16 miles long, and climbs 4300 feet!!  The thought of losing my trailer brakes coming down this road with a half ton would give me nightmares, and my fiver is fairly light....I'll keep the F250, thanks. 

I am seeing F150's pulling larger trailers these days.  So far I haven't seen any catastrophes....yet.

Attachments

• ElevationSign_600w.jpg
    ElevationSign_600w.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 73
I sorta think it's an F-250 in disguise so they can advertise the highest tow rating for a 1/2 ton.

I wouldn't put that sort of thing past the marketing guys, but in this case that isn't so. The F150 has a totally different chassis than the Superduty F250/F350 - its a different vehicle from the ground up. If you slapped an F150 badge on the side of a 250, everybody would know it.

Chevy/GMC also has half ton truck configurations that go as high as 10,500 lbs and the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan also can tow in that range, so it is not just Ford.

I tow mine with a f150.
my GCVW is 13400 loaded for a long stay, it's rated for 15000
and my mileage from Detroit to Kansas city was 9.9 going between 60-65

I had to stop with no brakes on the freeway (flatland) and it didn't take too far it worked better when i plugged the trailer electrical connection back in.

I wouldn't want to try big mountains with it but here in the east it's not bad.

Gary is completely correct in saying that that the F-150 is built on a completely different chassis than the Superduties.  I don't know if Chev/Dodge 1500's are built the same way but I don't think they are. 

Maybe I am going to state something here that everyone already knows but there is a different weight rating for 5th wheel towing than for actual towing capacity that your truck can tow.  For example, I have an '06 F-350 SRW Crew Cab 4x4 auto, GCWR is 23000lbs, Tow rating is 12500 lbs, and the max weight for a loaded 5th wheel is 15500lbs.  When talking about a 5th wheel, I can tow 3000lbs more than I can with a TT.  Does the F-150 have a different tow rating for a 5th wheel?  I found it interesting that the F-250/350 have the same ratings... as far as diesels go anyway.  I thought the F-350 would have a higher rating.

Corey

It's been my experience pulling various trailers from TT's to utility, that once you get past ~5000# total weight, light trucks just aren't up to the task.

With half tons, you have smaller brakes, lighter springs, lesser frame sections/thicknesses, transmission, rear end and LT tires versus a Heavy Duty 3/4 (not the standard 3/4).  A dually one ton is far and away better than a half ton and most HD 3/4 tons for any kind of serious, long distance towing.  If a dually isn't for you, SRW one tons are available. 

OTH, If you just run a few hours on state highways now and then to the lake with a modest TT or even a small 5er, you can get by with a half ton truck, properly equipped.  But don't expect to spend a lot of time on the interstate.  You'll get bit. 

I've seen lots of accidents waiting to happen on the interstates with half ton or light duty 3/4 ton trucks pulling BIG 5ers.  Typically going slower than traffic and obviously overloaded.  Eventually a serous inconvenience WILL be encountered and likely end up in injury or even death of the occupants and likely other innocent drivers.

The sales folks will tell you it can be done.  They are right, it can be done.  But is it a good idea?  NO, absolutely not.

Make sure you've got ample truck for the task.  Cutting corners will get you and somebody else hurt or at the very least, you'll wear out or break the light duty stuff prematurely. 

Example, a friend of mine ruined a 91 half ton suburban (700R4 trans w/cooler and the 8.6 rearend) by pulling a 26ft TT just across Missouri on I44.  He had no real power (350 CID and 3.73 gears, 31x10.50-15 tires) going up hills (floored in 3rd got him about 50mph uphill) and simply cooked the trans and rear end. :'(  I know, cause I'm the guy that fixed it. :p  Just not enough truck for the job.  Sure 4.10 gears would help, but you're still stuck with small brakes, lesser frame, lesser tires, lesser driveline.  You get the idea.

Get the RIGHT equipment for the job.

Get the RIGHT equipment for the job

Yes indeed.  There are trailers out there for which even an F350 DRW is an inadequate tow vehicle.  Those big boys need a medium duty truck tractor like a Peterbuilt or Volvo.

F150 class trucks and SUVs can do a fine job towing trailers -- but as you say they should be confined to trailers with a GVWR of 5500 lbs on down.  Some can go as high as 6000 lbs east of the Rockies but why fuss around with marginal rating when you should be ramping up to an F250 class unit.

Don't guess folks.  Go by the tow rating numbers given out by manufacturers or found in Trailer Life's tables.

gonemissin said:
With half tons, you have smaller brakes, lighter springs, lesser frame sections/thicknesses, transmission, rear end and LT tires versus a Heavy Duty 3/4 (not the standard 3/4).  A dually one ton is far and away better than a half ton and most HD 3/4 tons for any kind of serious, long distance towing.  If a dually isn't for you, SRW one tons are available. 

Get the RIGHT equipment for the job.

To do otherwise is just placing yourself and anyone near you at risk.  Let along opening up yourself to serious liability issues as well as problems while traveling.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I thought my question could add something to it. I currently have a Dodge Ram 2500 HD 4X4 powered by the 5.7L Hemi engine and 3.73 gears and I am using it to tow a Cruiser 29CK 5'er. The truck does a great job with this trailer and will stop it adaquately even with minimal brakes on the trailer. (Let's say you should be careful when you clean the dust off the brake controller.) The question I have is that the empty weight posted in the trailer is 77XX# and the tow rating on the Dodge website for the truck is 8800#. I have also read on the Cruiser forum that some other owners have weighed their trailers and have seen 10,XXX# actual. I have not weighed my trailer loaded but I am sure it is not over that amount. What is confusing to me is that as has been discussed earlier in this thread there are 1500 series trucks that have a higher tow rating than this 2500 HD. I find it hard to believe that the rating on this truck is correct especially after experiencing the way it handles this trailer. If this is correct, there are a lot of 2500's and 3500's that are severly over the limit as this is one of the lightest 5ers we looked at.

I tow mostly in the Central US from Georgia/Tennessee to Missouri. The terrain has some hills and small mountains but not much altitude. Any insight would be appreciated.

Weight limits are serious concerns and should not be guessed at.  Use facts such as truck manufacturers GVWR and GCWR as well as the trailer GVWR.  Never use empty weight figures which are usually inaccurate anyway.  One does not pull their trailer at the empty weight anyway.

Back
Top Bottom