New Years Unofficial Rally with non-hosts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coincidently me and my girlfriend were planning on staying at Catalina from the 2nd to the 12th of January. So sign us up. We have never been to a rally and we have no idea what to expect. Three legged sack races? Snipe hunts? Catching grunion? Scavenger hunts? Poetry reading? Talent shows? Drunken brawls? Someone streaking the campground? Just what goes on at these rallies? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tom and BJ

seilerbird said:
We have never been to a rally and we have no idea what to expect. Three legged sack races? Snipe hunts? Catching grunion? Scavenger hunts? Poetry reading? Talent shows? Drunken brawls? Someone streaking the campground?

Wow!  It looks like you already know what to expect at an RV Forum rally.  ;D

PhilB

All,

We are at Catalina State Park (12/26/08 at 1:30) along with Judy & Ollie and Russ M. (2000 Monaco Windsor, and two Magnas)

WARNING, the sign on Oracle road for the turn in to the Park are DOWN.

There is now a stop light at the turn.  First stop light south of Tangerine. On the West side is the entrance to a new mall

We are in Campground B, south side The side you drive through first).

There are about 5 sites on the south side of campground B. After parking I checked out the north side and it has around 15 sites. The ranger said there are also sites (WE) in campground A.

It is currently 42 degrees with a little mist.

ken

Ken  We are expecting to be there on the 30th, later in the day.  Tonight we are in Chatahoochee, FL.  Should be in TX tomorrow night.  See you in a few days!

Tom and BJ,

Sheila and I will be leaving on the 2nd, but I believe some of the other may be staying a day or two longer.

This is an unorganized get together. A meeting of friends old and new.
Yesterday the three early arriving coaches went to a late lunch at sweet Tomatoes Restaurant. As it warms up in the coming days we will have afternoon get togethers between a couple of the coaches. Other than that it will be done as the group decides.

Hope to meet you before we leave.

ken

Saturday morning.

When we awoke this morning it was 22 degrees (5 am). Now at 8:30 it is up to 29 degrees.
Today should be sunny, but only in the mid fifties. Tonight it will be cold again.
Tomorrow should be in the sixties and the night should be a little warmer.

At this time there are 6 sites ( including the site next to yours) open on the south side of campground B and 8 sites on the North side. I have not checked out campground A. I am sure a few will leave today, but then more will arrive.

Ken

Progress.  Tonight in Vinton, LA.  Just short of TX.  Heavy rain caused us to forego the run into Beaumont.  Rain has stopped, temp has dropped, but still OK.  Tomorrow night TX, maybe the next as well?  Most likely NM Mon.  AZ Tue & Wed.  See you soon.

Pancakes Weds AM. 

This afternoon Terry and Betty arrived. This evening Jerry and Ardra arrived.

All five coaches are parked on the south side of B campground. We are all together.

I will post a Picture of tonight's gathering as soon as I figure out how to reduce it to less than 250kb.

ken

I will post a Picture of tonight's gathering as soon as I figure out how to reduce it to less than 250kb.

Ken, If you don't figure it out, just email it to me. (Click the 'envelope' icon beneath my avatar.)

We  arrived at Catalina State Park around 4 pm 12/27/08.  This was  a full 2.5 hours behind our anticipated arrival.  We left Deming, New Mexico this morning around 9:30 am. and traveled  west on  Interstate 10.  About 1/2 hour into our day's journey the traffic slowed with Border Patrol cars signaling traffic to slow down.  Sure enough, just ahead our lane of traffic stopped.  I am certain ice was a factor in the accident as the temperature at the time of slow down was 24.
A quick switch to  Channel 19 on CB informed us that a huge traffic  accident had occured about 7 miles in front of us.  Helicopetrs were  in the road air lifting  critically  injured to Silver City. We wer told via cb radio that we awaited arrival of coroner.

Meanwhile in our motorhome, we shut down the engine, started the generator , watched a movie, had lunch , phoned family and were generally quite comfortable.  By the time traffic resumed and we crossed the accident site , we were  not able to  know the details of the accident.  I can only thank god we are so  blessed  to have  the comforts of our rig and our lifestyle and that our time was not up today. 

This voyage will make our unofficial rally here even  more sweet as we relish our friends, our safety  and our lifestyle!

Happy New Year.

Betty

Re-calc.  Tomorrow shorter day, overnight at San antonio.  maybe a motorcycle trip into the city.  Then Van Horn for a night, Then to Catalina.  Should be there Tues, after noon sometime. 

Make for a little easier driving days.  450 miles vs 500+++ a day. 

Richard,

Campground B has 50 AMP and water on all 74(+or-) sites.

BTW, Campground A has 24 WE (also 50 amp) and 24 dry camp.

ken

The FitzGeralds also arrived this evening.  Unlike the Brewers, our biggest delay was at the Flying J where all but three fuel lines were shut down for some unknown reason.  Inside they also were having problems with their receipt printers so everyone was trying to fix that problem and waits for purchases were lengthy.  We had made good time until then and decided to keep going thinking we would still arrive at Catalina in daylight.  NOT!  Just as we left I-10 on Tangerine the sun was setting and it was mostly dark on Tangerine.  This is a good two-lane road, max. 50 mph, and with many dips at 35 mph.  It's well-traveled and a good route from the west.  Tangerine deadends at Oracle.  Our GPS said to turn left onto Oracle, which is wrong.  There is a small sign at the Oracle intersection that says Catalina SP is to the right.  You turn right and go about one mile to the first taffiic light.  On the right is a big shopping center (something Marketplace) and you turn left at that light onto an unmarked road.  Once you make the turn you see the entrance sign that says Catalina State Park.  When we got to the ranger station he was just closing up but gave Jerry a map so we could find campground B.  Boy, it was a dark drive in but we immediately saw Russ' coach and Ken came out to guide us around and into a pull-though site.  It was for us a long day but we're glad we're once again among our framily!

Happy New Year everyone!

ArdraF and JerryF

Here's Ken's first photo from the rally.

Attachments

• first_arrivals.jpg
    first_arrivals.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 110
Tom,

Thanks for posting the picture.

We now have six coaches here. Richard and Linda arrived at noon.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom